Friday, May 10, 2019

The Great White Iceberg

Josie’s test results were reported to me yesterday, and they were not as good as I had anticipated. My Chubs has some kidney issues.

The doctor stated that Josie is in stage two kidney failure, which isn’t disastrous, but isn’t good, either. The SDMA test’s ‘normal’ range ends at 14. Josie came in at 15. She may need to go on a special diet, but not yet. We are on a watching brief right now, and I will take Josie in for a re-examination in three to four months.

This affects her prospective dental surgery, but does not eliminate it. Some of her teeth are bad; they are causing her discomfort, so that she chews on one side of her mouth only. Her mouth must be seen to. If not, she will be in pain for the rest of her life. Neither her teeth nor her kidneys are going to improve, so it is best to tackle the former while the latter is not in a dangerous state. She could have as many as six teeth removed, but the extent of the procedure won’t be apparent until it’s begun, and the doctor can see what’s what inside the Great White’s mouth. Josie will be on fluids for the whole day that she is at the hospital, before, during and after the operation. I will set a date for the surgery today.

I suppose diminishing kidney function is to be expected as my cats age, but Josie has been changing - aging - so gradually, so it seemed to me, that I didn’t expect her to be suffering, either from such bad teeth or from incipient organ failure. As with all cats, she is an iceberg when it comes to health, or, rather, ill health: there is much below the surface.

Her problems, however, will be attended to, and she will feel much better, heading into the last quarter of her life. And I hope to make those years worth living, no matter how many she has left.

12 comments:

  1. Please delete our first comment. There is some thought that inflammation in the feline body is a cause for feline kidney disease. As dental decay and plaques cause gum inflammation it is something to address to possibly deter or slow any renal presentation. Our Mr Buttons had great difficulty with his gums and teeth due to FIV and when he was diagnosed with advanced renal disease he had only one or two teeth left. Sadly his was a fast progression. Our Buddy Budd who is 19+ has started on KD formula which was a simple swap as he is the only one who eats dry food. Luckily he likes it. They suggested fluids but he hates it to an extent that I feel quality of life wins out. I do not want him cowering from me or feeling he needs to flee when I reach to give him a bit of fuss. Luckily he has healthy enough dentition that it is something off our radar and he gobbles his thyroid medication in his treat. With all of your fur families challenges we send our heartfelt support for Josie, yourself and the clan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that Josie's bad teeth contributes to other elements of her ill health. They, after all, are sources of poison in a way. Like you, I will compare her quality of life to any effects treatment may have. That goes for all of my beasts. Like you, I wouldn't want her or any of them to feel better physically while being miserable emotionally. But it's early days yet, and we'll see how things are after her surgery.

      Delete
  2. Poor Josie, I hope her dental surgery goes well and her kidney functions don't decline any further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear Josie's test results were not as good as you had hoped. Unfortunately, kidney problems and dental issues are very common in older cats. But the good thing is that her kidney problem was caught in the early stages so that treatment can be started before it gets worse, and you are going to take care of Josie's dental issues as soon as possible, so she will be more comfortable. Cats are masters at hiding illness, and you're doing a great job of recognizing and dealing with problems in their early stages. Your cats are very lucky to have you caring for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that it is only beginning and with treatment, as you said, her last quarter of life will be comfortable and of course, she will be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear. Gosh John your little kitty hospice is a busy place. Luckily the crew have you in charge to tend to their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that Josie's results weren't as good as you had hoped for. At least it has been caught at an early stage which means treatment can be started earlier than for many and therefore hopefully will keep it in check for many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good news that this problem was found early, but, man, I'm sorry. The last thing you needed right now was more cat illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Dear Josie. John, you are really on top of everything. I do hope that she finds relief after her teeth are removed. I hope that her kidney issues can be managed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, John, what you're going through with your sweet Josie. My mom and dad worry constantly about me, too, because I'm an older gal and there were hints of kidney issues when they rescued me. Bless you for your love and caring for your dear Josie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Josie....faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....we hate de kid kneee dizzeez az much az we due bass terd chckn....glad dad catched it in time tho; coz ya still haz several yeerz yet ta bee living large N in charge.....we iz sorree... N bummer on de dental two :( ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am coming to this news late, so I can only mirror the comments already made. Wish we knew why kidney problems are so very common in older cats, so we'd know what to feed them or do, when our cats are younger. Purrs and hugs.

    ReplyDelete