Sunday, March 13, 2022

Minuet and the Threshold

Slowly, Minuet is growing accustomed to the other cats here. I am now allowing them to invade her sanctum – the library – for short periods, now and then. I don’t want her to feel insecure, but then again, she needs to interact with the others sooner or later, and the library must be open to all, eventually. The oldsters don’t seem to trouble her much; it may be the proximity of age. Renn likes to use her litter-boxes, which she does not mind.

Madame is also coming out of the library more. Her forays usually are of very short duration and she does not go far. I worried about her meeting the exuberant youngsters, but she has found a way of dealing with their forwardness. She emerged from the library a few days ago and was seen by Hector. My dark knight hastened toward her and I prepared to stop him. But Minuet let go one of her harsh and grating protests, like a particularly ill-tempered banshee, and Hector stopped in his tracks, turned about and trotted away. I think she would have clobbered him if he had come within paw-range.

Then, today, Auric observed Min in the corridor. He too hurried toward her, only to be greeted by another angry wail, like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The Golden Boy halted, looked one way, looked another way, and decided to visit the litter-boxes instead.

I can’t guarantee that Madame will be able to take care of herself, so I will continue to open the library door only when I am present. She and I have become friends, and she seems always glad to see me. She frequently gets up from where she is lying when I offer to pet her and walks to my hand, and she will lean into it for attention. There is far to go but we are in no hurry. She is a permanent guest in the Cosy Apartment, not available for adoption, so she has all the time she needs to adjust. So far I am satisfied with her progress.

18 comments:

  1. It looks like Minuet knows just how to handle the youngsters, and the youngsters have learned that Minuet is a force to be reckoned with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your youngsters really know the cat-speak of Minuet! LOL!
    Glad there is progress...as I tell my residents in rehab: Slow (and steady) progress is better than no progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like Minuet will have no nonsense from the youngsters, and they in turn are respecting their elder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Bless! Things still coming
    together nicely John..! :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like Auric had the pee scared out of him. Minuet is a girl that knows what she wants and how she wants it. Standing her claim sounds very good. Glad she liked seeing you when you have time to spend with her. That she's not afraid. She trusts you and it sounds like she trusts the home that she's living in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing about the progress 💗

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you need to record Minuet so we we can hear that! She must have a VERY impressive warning! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Minuet sure is learning to adjust! I thought it would be hard at her age but she's holding her own so far. This is great to hear.
    I laughed out loud when I saw Auric's photo!!! He's inside out and upside down! Young cats can be hilarious and so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Minuet must be one tough little girl. Good for her. And good for the boys for getting what must have been a very eloquent message.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love seeing Minuet and everyone else! And like Kea, I would LOVE to hear Minuet speaking! If it is ever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tyoungsters are a treat each time you tell us about them! What a joy to have there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Minuet has excellent taste in men!
    As for the youngsters who get a bit too close, she's dealt with them admirably.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good on Minuet. She's giving the boys fair warning and settling in well. She's such a pretty girl too, even with the permanent grumpy look. I always think the dark lines on her forehead make her look like she's frowning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unfortunately, she always looks rather formidable.

      Delete
  14. minuet ....GIRL POWER ~~~~~~~~ hugs from dai$y =^..*= ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've missed some posts. I am happy to read that Madame is in her forever home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cute little gal, we can't imagine that scream coming from her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is definitely the dowager queen!

    ReplyDelete