Monday, August 1, 2022

There Was a Young Feline Who Swallowed a Fly

I don’t know why he swallowed the fly. He definitely won’t die.

Yes, Hector caught a fly yesterday. He’d been following it for a while; there’s a possibility that it was the same one he was chasing some days ago. In any case, he won’t be chasing it again. He cornered it – if one can corner anything against a flat surface – by the window pane in the bedroom. I saw him patting the glass repeatedly, then he bent his head and started chewing.

It clearly didn’t taste good, as he had the same tongue-lolling, overly robust mastication we all have when we eat something unpleasant. It may have been like munching on a candy flavoured with Buckley’s Mixture. And then he drank, rather urgently, a great deal of water.

The important thing is, however, that he caught the fly. And if he sees another, he will likely repeat the performance, right down to comsuming his prey. That’s the sort of fellow he is.

But I still don’t know why he swallowed the fly.

23 comments:

  1. That is too funny!

    I love that original Buckley's Mixture...it always helped a lot when I had allergic itchy throat issues, and when I had bronchitis, too...but yes its awfully powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He just to have a taste of success. Precious loves to chase the fly if one gets in and I do not kill it first. But I've not seen her eat one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hope you never get a bee in your apartment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes. I hadn't thought of that.

      Delete
    2. Sonny, I have been a Cat Person since God was in kindergarten. I have seen it ALL. Including cats trying to catch bees and wasps. And Hector would be just the guy to succeed in doing that.

      Delete
  4. I thought cats were supposed to be finicky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I do have skunks and raccoons coming to the outside food-bowls...

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, I think my comment got eaten...don't think Hector ate it though. Blogger is being annoying...very annoying!

    Good catch, Hector! A little protein snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first comment came through - it was the first comment on this entry, in fact. I hit 'Publish', was told it was published, but it clearly was not. That has happened before, and I have often been checking to make sure. Sorry I missed in this case.

      Delete
  7. Well done Hector! We get a lot of flies here, most likely attracted by the horses in the fields. Flynn was an obsessive fly catcher and if he wasn't outdoors he spent his time in the window catching them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something else you can add to his CV....HeHe! Bless!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cracked me up: "And then he drank, rather urgently, a great deal of water." I can just picture it! I admit I would have laughed myself silly had I been there to see that. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brian had trouble a few days ago, commenting on mine I have very few commenters the last several days. Katie had better polish up her act. My blog too. She and I are sitting in an empty auditorium (so to speak).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Hector! Saku has been known to capture and eat a few flies in his time but they usually end up coming back up for me to find sometime later. (He suggests you avoid moths...they're even worse.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My cats will simply point out there is some sort of insect intruder and let me dispatch it. Well done Hector!!

    ReplyDelete