Monday, January 30, 2023

And In a Surprising Development...

Hector will be going on a trial-adoption next Sunday.


I was surprised by the inquiry made about my Little Turk because he has had very little interest shown in him in the sixteen months he has been with me. But now his chance has come.


I am a little apprehensive. This is not due to the prospective home to which Hector will be going. Our rescue-group’s adoption process is thorough, and if the person in charge of the process is pleased with the home, then I am satisfied. Hec will be going to a small, young family, with a resident cat.


My concern comes because of Hector. He is not like Horace. With Ivory, what you saw was what you got, and he could fit in almost anywhere. Hector is more idiosyncratic, and requires time to understand. People must learn about him. He will have two weeks with his new humans. I don’t expect them to understand him in that time, but if they realise in that fortnight that he is a complex little fellow and needs further opportunity to display his character, then the people will be happy.



But it is the other cat who is the key to Hector’s happiness in the new setting. Hec requires not just a companion, not just another cat with whom he gets along. He needs a playmate. The resident feline is young enough for that, and has lived well with others of her species. If these two become friends, if they chase and wrestle with each other, I will be happy.


This will be an anxious time for me. Hector and I have become good friends. But this is his chance. Adoptions of black cats don’t come along as often as with other colours. If it does not work out, he will of course come back to the Cosy Apartment. But, as confused and perhaps frightened as he will initially be, this trial-adoption represents everything that has the possibility of making him happy for the rest of his life, and that’s what cat-rescue is about.


16 comments:

  1. Of course, I hope things work out with this new household, but I can understand your anxiety. And poor Zofia will miss losing another playmate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand how you feel. I had nit thought about Mias Zed until I read Undine's comment though. It will be hard for her. No friend BUT maybe one of the others will step up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Hector. I do hope you find a fur-ever home, however you will be missed at the Cosy Apartment by Dr. Bellen and Miss Zofia. Neville may wonder why you have hidden out of sight and keep an eye out for you and Renn may just take a nap on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are purring for Hector, hoping his trial placement will be purrfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, fingers are crossed for Hector! I really hope all works out well and that he's truly found his forever home. I also hope that Zofia will be okay...and find her forever home as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this works out & the new family understands that it might take time with this fella. Thank goodness if it doesn't work he has the cozy apt to come back to. I'm feeling your anxiety, John, hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hope things work out for Hector. Of course, it will mean a period of adjustment for everyone - Hector, Zofia, you, Hector's new family, and Hector's new feline sibling. Please keep us updated regarding how things go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that Hector is happy in his new trial home and that things go well, but I can't help but think about Zofia. I also note how resilient cats are so I know whatever happens it is the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good that he has his chance of a forever home and hope it works out. it is Zofia I feel sorry for. She will have lost two playmates in a short space of time. If it works out for Hector I am sure it won't be long before somebody else joins the cosy apartment though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Purrayers and POTP that Hec gets off to a fine start !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire how you foster. I would not be able to let them go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We hope it works for that sweet guy but I'd be pretty nervous for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome opportunity for Hector! We hope it works out well for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers and purrrs for Hector! Good luck and good wishes and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, we can understand your apprehension, Jih. We are purring and praying that Hec and the other cat do well, and this turns out to be his happily ever after. XO

    ReplyDelete