Monday, January 2, 2023

Foiled For Now

The plan had been to take Zofia tomorrow to the veterinary hospital for her spay. The appointment had been made in response to her going into heat on December 18th. Now, her body has disarranged that schedule by going into heat again, less than two weeks after her first session. She started on Saturday, and will, I suspect, judging from her behaviour, finish today. But that won’t give enough time to spay her cleanly and safely on the morrow.

The new appointment is for a week from today: January 9th. Even if her cycle revolves in the same amount of time as it already has, little Miss Zed won’t go into heat again before then.

Ignoring the possibility of unwanted kittens being born and, likely, not having homes in their future, I can’t see why anyone would want not to spay their female cat at the earliest possible time. Even at Zofia’s tender age, it is hardly conducive to human rest and relaxation. Her vocalisations have been subdued compared to the unearthly infant-like wails I’ve heard from adult cats. Nonetheless, the trills and whirrs she almost constantly emits are enough to keep me awake through the night. She remains a fun and active little creature, full of delight and ready for love and attention. The heat cycle seems to magnify all these qualities.

But with luck, and timing, Zofia will not have to worry about such things in another week. My worry will be to keep a five month old kitten from leaping, running, jumping and playing while she recovers from her surgery…

14 comments:

  1. Oh!
    Yikes!
    Maybe a few days in the bathroom, where she cannot get into too much trouble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll have the library to herself, but even so, she thinks of isolation as a chance to play - by herself.

      Delete
  2. May all go well with the surgery. I've only had to spay one girl-kitten in my cat career, but it went very smoothly. The toughest part was keeping her from eating the night before the operation,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had three females spayed - each time the vet tells me not to allow them to jump or run. I've yet to be successful. They do as they please and I suspect if it hurts they'll not do it more than once. Thankfully none had any issues - they seem to recover far more quickly than we humans do.
    The last time with Shady, I told the vet they'd have to come home with me to tell the cat. Funny, they weren't up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Miss Zofia. In heat already. Inconvenient for now, but hopefully all will go as re-planned next week. in the meantime, music to be heard by all in the Cosy Apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why some don't fix their pets. Every time a female goes into heat it ups her chances of getting breast cancer. Plus as you stated unwanted kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear Miss Z! We know that spay can't come soon enough to relieve you of your cycles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my gosh! Zofia, how in the world did you do that so quickly!? The only thing I can say in comfort to your Dad is...trills and whirrs are darling. Not in the night, no...but still they are. Bless her heart. Oh you sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers crossed that the rescheduled appointment goes off without a hitch. I've seen pics of people put onesies on their cat to keep them from bothering the incision, but when Annie was spayed for the second time I didn't do anything, as far as I can recall. Cats will do as they please, and they DO heal more quickly than us, or so one of my vets told me years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Purrs all goes well with the spay! You will feel so much better after it is over.
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two weeks!! I hope everything goes as planned in a week's time. At least trills are better than yowling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, that is a real challenge keeping young ones calm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope everything will go as planned, and that her activity will be ruled by her own judgement...yup, they will do as they want, short of being caged. Nope, I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete