Tuesday, January 3, 2023

We May Need More Staff

It was a busy evening yesterday at Café Cosy. As I had hoped, Sable came by for a meal, but later, she brought her friend, Arliss.


It was interesting to watch the two of them. The big white and orange fellow remained close by while I placed a bowl of food on the floor of the concrete ditch. Sable was waiting on the steps and, as soon as I withdrew back into the apartment, came down to the food. But she did not eat. She has certainly eaten quite a bit on other occasions, more than what she had consumed this evening. But now, she sat to one side, seemingly waiting. I think Sable was telling her friend, Arliss, to help himself. (I apologise for the very poor quality of the picture; I thought I had taken better.)



Unfortunately, Arliss was more skittish tonight than he has been. There was more noise in the neighbourhood, more activity, and, though none of it was near the ditch, I think it put Arliss on his guard. Eventually, he hurried away. Sable hastened after him.


I left the soft-food outside, thinking that one or both of my customers might return. They did not. Instead, this one showed up. For convenience’s sake, I am calling her a female; I’ve named her Cecile. I have seen her before, but she is very shy, and didn’t remain for the whole meal this time. That was partly my fault; when I moved to take up the food-bowl, she was at the water-bowl (not visible from my angle as I opened the glass door.) That frightened her away.



But I re-charged the soft-food bowl - the nocturnal air was just warm enough to keep it from freezing - and it was licked clean by the morning. It may have Cecile, or Sable and Arliss. It may have been Sable alone. There is another cat who has been by, so timid that I cannot look directly at him without scaring him off; it may have been him. It may not have been a cat at all.


In any case, Café Cosy was busy last night. Though it doesn’t turn over much of a profit, I would not mind seeing our little restaurant so busy every night.

11 comments:

  1. Keeping community cats' bellies full...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You operate an all night diner, not unlike a truck stop. Each diner wanting a bit different plate of food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am smiling all the way through this. I wish however, that the first guests had stayed and sampled the cuisine. My goodness the Cafe did become very busy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a large clientele. You may have to ask them to start making reservations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that the outside cafe was busy L(
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Word of the Cosy Café has gotten out among the stray/feral/roaming cat community!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well the word is out that the Cosy Cafe is the place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like word has gotten around about the great service and wonderful food at the Cosy Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sure do appreciate the food offerings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do think there was intercommunication to tell evfurry kitty out there that there was yummy food to be had! Or maybe the coons/possums heard about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is nice to see a regular flow of customers at the Cosy Café.

    ReplyDelete