Thursday, January 19, 2023

Our Disappointment

After more than a week of giving Neville the new insulin, I must admit that the experiment has not been a success. Nev had been on ProZinc before. The reason I switched him to Lantus glargine a year ago was that ProZinc’s results were erratic. I realised that this had been the case when I brought him back to this substance, but I thought that the length of time on glargine would accustom his body to that insulin, thus allowing ProZinc to be viewed as a novelty, with beneficial, even if short-term, results. As well, I was paying strict attention to Neville’s diet, and thought I had found a good combination of food that would aid the insulin.


Alas, ProZinc’s has been, by and large, a failure. On a few days, it gives him exactly the sort of response I want. The rest of the days, however, are divided between the insulin having no effect and having a negligible result. This is, unfortunately, what happened the last time he was on ProZinc. While not strictly insulin-resistant, Neville’s body is clearly not using it, or even welcoming its presence, as it should.


I feel very bad for the Nevsky. He has gone through a great deal, just to have his patience and fortitude disappointed. I will be speaking to the veterinary about what next to do. I had mentioned in an earlier blog-entry about other kinds of insulin, but I hesitate to change Nev’s prescription any time soon, as I feel too much alteration over such a short period would be bad for him. On the other hand, very high blood-glucose numbers cannot be anything but detrimental to his well-being. He must feel poorly much of the time.


Yet he still finds enjoyment in life. He usually greets his meals with delighted rumblings and gravelly mutterings, and he likes his chin rubs, with which he repays my efforts with purrs. But if I could find a way of managing his diabetes, I would be making his life pleasant, rather than just tolerable.


18 comments:

  1. Nevsky has the very bestest advocate in his corner; you'll see him right, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are doing your best for Neville. I hope he is able to continue life without too many tests and trials for new medications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIG PURRS for Nev and hoping his Vet can come up with some changes that help him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry this hasn't been a success, John. I hope you're able to find something that WILL work for him, so, as you wrote, his life could be pleasant, rather than tolerable. I'm keeping him (and you) in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neville, I am your biggest fan. XX I want you to have something that works. Hopefully the Vet will do some research.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are sorry the insulin isn't as effective as you hope. We know you and the vet will find a solution for him, and are glad that in many ways he still seems to be happy,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor guy. I hope you find something that works soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear that Neville's response to ProZinc Insulin was disappointing. I'll be interested to hear what the vet recommends when you speak to her. Meanwhile, you're doing everything you can to give him the best life possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor guy, we're hoping something will help that sweet dude.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! Bless the little fella!x
    Hope it ALL works out for him soon!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that wasn't the way you wanted it to be.

    Hope the vet will have another good recommendation for Neville.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry the ProZinc didn't work for Ne. I hope the vet can come up with something which will work better for him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How disappointing. Surely their is something out there that will help the Nev. Poor guy, I hope he isn't feeling too miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We hope you can come up with the right meds to help Neville.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do such a great job of looking after this handsome boy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Darn, I was hoping for a better outcome. However, I know you'll continue to do what is best for Neville and I do hope there is some other option that provides good results.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darn it. We are sorry the ProZinc didn't work out. Thank you for being such a champion for Nev; we hope that you and the vet together are able to figure out another better option. XO

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's said that if a cat still enjoys eating, he still enjoys life. That makes sense to me. I'm sorry things haven't worked out so far for Neville, but I'm optimistic you'll find the right solution for the poor guy.

    ReplyDelete