Saturday, February 3, 2024

Forgetting the Reaction

When I don’t pay attention or remember, my cats pay the price. Neville has responded poorly to the anti-biotic he received for the swelling on his lip. He threw up – under the bed, which was a new experience for me – had diarrhea and no appetite. I should have recalled such reactions from the past, though, to be honest, he has had more than one kind of medicine for infections, and not all had such effects. However, I did not give him any more of the medicine today – his refusal to eat this morning saved him from another dose – and he is already recovering. He ate a nice little snack of soft-food just now.

On Monday, I will be calling Nev’s doctor and discussing an injectable anti-biotic that helped my misanthrope when he had the infection in his jaw last summer. That medicine gave him no discernible problems and cured his infection. If the veterinary agrees to giving it again, the Nevski will have one more, very brief trip to the hospital, and should improve from then on.

Who needs even to leave home for a life of adventure and mystery when one has cats?

14 comments:

  1. Oh boy, poor Nev! I'm glad you caught onto the issues with the meds. I hope he didn't make too big of a mess under the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Nev. Good for you for realizing what was happening.

    I've seen TV ads for a mobile vet in Ottawa....Too bad there aren't more of them, it would save a stressful trip. Good luck with Neville, I hope the injectable works again for him. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a mobile vet in our district, I think, but prefer to take Nev to a doctor who knows him. To be honest, a vet visit is easier on Neville than receiving medicine from me, believe it or not...

      Delete
  3. At least he managed to make you notice his distress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor Nev and poor you. Hopefully the injectable antibiotic will do the trick, and he'll feel better soon. But you are correct - there is always an adventure when you have cats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Neville, we hope something helps him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon Mr Neville. Lucky you have Dr John looking after you xx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Nev! I hope the injection quickly helps him to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! Poor Neville..hope he's 100% soon...!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you get Neville into the doctor quickly and that he can get the shot that works so much easier on him. Poor fellow, bad enough that he feels bad and then throw in throwing up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH how awful for both of you! I have had the experience of Admiral throwing up under the big bed. WOE! You deduced why it happened and have a plan. That should make things easier for both of you shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope the vet agrees to the injection.
    Truly, wrangling Sweetie for monthly vet trips for her Solensia shot is a lot less stressful than pilling her daily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Neville. I hope the injection idea works out.

    And, yes, I noticed the corner of the chair. It reminds me of my couch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another chair in the room, identical to the one depicted, even down to the destroyed left corner...

      Delete