Thursday, February 29, 2024

What We Say To Each Other

I’ve observed an interesting thing about Imogen. Whereas other cats I’ve had - most notably Renn - will bump their heads against me to show affection, Imo is the only one I’ve had who pushes her head forward when she can’t reach me. I then respond by bumping her head with mine.


I get the impression that she expects me to respond in that manner and, further, that she understands it is a sign of affection on my part. Other cats have not indicated that they want me to bump them back; it is a one-sided display on their part, and they are satisfied with that. Any attempt to respond in kind has met with what seemed to have been perplexity, as if they can’t figure out why their human hit them on the head with his own.


When I bump my head against Imogen’s, however, she seems pleased. I may be quite wrong, and she too wonders why I am assaulting her with my brow every time she leans forward. But I don’t think so. Different cats communicate in different ways, distinctions in the usual feline manner of talking to us. It may be that Miss Silky comprehends that what she does means the same when I do it. I hope so.


14 comments:

  1. Dearest John,
    Your Miss Silky 'Imogen' seems to be a great communicator.
    Indeed, all kitties are different in their body language.
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Imogen loves the affection you give. I know Precious only gives me kisses on the lips and sniffs on my hair. The man who rubs her belly gets none of this even though he feeds her breakfast while I make ours, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering that Imogen apparently grew up as an only cat, I wonder if she thinks she's semi-human? Or, to put it another way, that you're semi-cat? That could explain why a "catlike" gesture of affection that confuses the other cats ("Why is this human acting like another cat?") would seem normal to Imo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are correct. You have been around enough cats to understand what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I too think she is quite pleased that you are getting it and answering back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I headbonk Katie and she is happy with it. Seems the right thing to do. :-)

      Delete
  6. That's so sweet. I'm sure she does understand. Nicki was an aggressive head-butter (ouch!), but he didn't get it when I would do the same to him (gently).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imogen, doing Imogen as only an Imogen can do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Imogen knows you are showing affection and wants to return it in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how adorable that she likes to show her affection by bumping heads, it's her way

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think she knows very well that you are headbonking her right back. Well..OK. She just leans forward to get the headbonk. BUT I feel certain as do you, that she knows what you're doing. I wonder, does she get headbonks for anyone else? Not you-know-who. That would be asking a lot considering their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Imogen is a character, and you have an incredible ability to understand each cat's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like Imogen enjoys your affection and has you well trained. :-) My Pete and I take turns - he gives me a head bump and I give him one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HaHa! Careful John, you don't want to be known
    as a 'headbanger'....Bless! :).

    ReplyDelete