Monday, February 5, 2024

Semi-adventurous

Once upon a time, my good friend Tucker enjoyed short ambles down the corridor of the apartment building. He didn’t go far and never liked to move too great a distance from me. Now, Renn seems to have taken a similar interest.


My big boy will wait just inside the apartment for when I come home and walk out when I open the door. I am always ready for the unannounced cat exit, and so easily blocked Renn’s initial attempts at minor exploration. But, under my supervision, he enjoys coming out and giving that big nose of his something new to smell now and then.


Such permissions require knowing one’s cat well, of course. I could never trust Brazil or Imogen to come out, even if they wanted to. Renn, however, is a safer proposition. He will walk quite a ways without me but, though not a timid cat, he nonetheless will freeze at unfamiliar voices, and hurry back to safety if he hears a strange noise. And I am ready to catch him up quickly, if need be.


But his is not a dangerous ramble. His curiosity is simply satisfied. Once enough scents are gathered in, he comes back, ready for a meal and a nice nap afterward. Life is good for the semi-adventurous.


13 comments:

  1. Way to go, Tucker...enjoy life at your own speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's got quite the "cat walk" to amble down and back. All safely inside and yet for him an adventure. Like you, I know Precious well enough to let her have the fenced patio in good weather but only if I am inches away. I remember you taking Parker out on the leash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats like their little adventures. Every now and then, Ernie likes to spend time in our backyard. I keep an eye on him when he does, but he's never shown an inclination to go into the outside world. He just nibbles the grass and wanders around sniffing things, which seems to be a Cat Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see that you can have enjoyable new adventures even when you're an elder kitty (or human!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post brightened my mood this morning and it needed brightening up, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two of my cats, Joey and Pete, are "door dashers". They enjoy a walk in the hallway of my apartment building. However, I really think they just want to visit the girl-kitty who lives down the hall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been a sweet thing to see and read this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new smells and sounds must be exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to see Renn enjoying some new smells!

    ReplyDelete
  10. dood…knock on de nayborz doorz…may bee they will give
    ewe stuff…kinda like at howl o ween time 💙😺🐟‼️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Semi- adventurous sounds about right. That way you do not get into much trouble/ any ;)
    Purrs Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. In an apartment setting I'm sure there are some interesting smells at hand (or perhaps I should say paw). Good for Renn being brave enough to venture outside his comfort zone, even briefly.
    Saku often hovers near the door but has yet to try to venture out. The one time he made it out the front door at the old house, he completely froze on the sidewalk. Thankfully, he didn't bolt from fear as I doubt I would have been able to catch him.

    ReplyDelete