Sunday, July 21, 2024

How Heat Affects Typing

The heat is rather oppressive here right now, and the cats are trying various ways to beat it, or at least reduce its effects. Imogen has decided that the surface of my computer desk is cooler than other surfaces. It is also in the way.

I type quite rapidly, despite using just two fingers and my thumbs. Though I have to look at the keyboard most of the time, it is not to watch every key; it’s just a general observation of the whole field. Nonetheless, when Imo is lying in front of the board, her legs or tail hang over the edge of the table enough to disrupt the flow of my typing. It’s like attempting to play the trumpet when someone’s hands are between your fingers and the valves. Every third or fourth letter that I type is wrong, my speed is slow and I have to watch every movement.

I can’t wait until autumn…

12 comments:

  1. Maybe Imo wants to write the blog??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those problems well. Flynn would curl up in the corner, but Eric would lay out full stretch and I had to keep trying to shove him up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHa! Bless!x Perhaps that's why it's called
    a 'lap~top'....! :O).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that problem too, once COVID hit and we switched to working from home. Perhaps Imogen is teaching you to slow down and enjoy the process more. 🙃

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, I particularly love this! That how *I* type...two fingers, sometimes three if I am feeling reckless and filled with abandon! Oh, and my thumbs too of course...they both are good for spacing. I look at the key board too because I never learned touch typing. Didn't want to. But I type pretty fast as my correspondents know VERY well with all my typos. I can and do get up to 40 wpm. (we will NOT address typos again however. A woman has her pride after all.) Now I have a lady cat who gets behind the computer and feels compelled to adjust the wires that are plugged into the ports in back- to further my adventure. I will say if there is ever any concern as to whether or not that is really me sending you an email, any of you, ..look at the number of typos...that'll tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While it does complicate things it is wonderful to have a furry good helper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait for fall too. This summer has been unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, so if Imogen does a guest-post, we won't be surprised...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's a damn good photo, but would make typing a tad difficult

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny girl! I had a cat, Silver, who used to love to sit on top of the monitor (one of those old television style one). She wasn't happy when I went to the slim model and she too, would sleep on the desk in front of the monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's probably just trying to let you to take a heat break. I only get snoopervision from the ground.

    ReplyDelete