Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Impovements for Tempo

Things have improved for Tempo. The stage of her heat cycle that brought on her constant crying and activity has passed. It lasted only a day and a half, unless she had started it when she arrived at the Cosy Apartment. In any case, it’s done with for now.


More serious was her refusal to eat. A heat cycle will be uncomfortable but it can be endured. I had only a few days to have her eat before there was a danger of fatty-liver disease. Unfortunately, refusing to eat is not uncommon for cats coming into new environments. Everything else will appear normal; all their stress is funnelled into not eating. For two days, Tempo declined everything I offered her, which included numerous kinds of cat-food and even Temptation treats. Then I tried human food, specifically, bits of turkey from a meat-pie. These she ate. I fed her limited amounts, as she had already thrown up due to an empty stomach, but the limited amount was too much for her and she brought it up. But smaller portions stayed down. Then, I offered tinned chicken sandwich meat, as it was close in consistency to Fancy Feast pate. This too she ate. And last night, she consumed some cat-food. I will now feed her as much as she likes, in order to put some weight on her.


Tempo’s behaviour is changing, too. She had been chasing Brazil, but this morning, I saw Brazil chasing her. And when she pursued him, the running was more of a loping trot than a dash for safety. I think maybe - maybe - they were playing. On the other hand, Indigo ran her out of the library and into the sitting room with the intention of giving her a good whapping. Well, Tempo may have made one friend, at least.


Tomorrow, she goes to the veterinary hospital for her vaccinations and a general examination. I think she’ll go feeling better than she has since she’s arrived in her new foster-home.


11 comments:

  1. She is such a striking-looking girl. May all go well with the vet visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with her tomorrow. I'm glad she's now eating and even perhaps starting to play. I hope the vet appointment doesn't derail her progress, though if it does I imagine it would be short term only. 🤞

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that Tempo is settling in. From what you wrote, it sounds like she and Brazil are becoming friends and that's good news. Meanwhile, I'll look forward to hearing how Tempo's vet visit goes tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am looking forward to learning about her vet visit. And I hope to goodness that she and Brazil are going to be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Kim, I hope there is not a set back from the vet visit. Maybe only a short one, or if lucky, she will come home ravenous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tempo is a pretty kitty, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to read Tempo is improving and settling in to her new home

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for that sweetie girl. I also hope the Vet visit goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is good that she seems to be playful with Brazil.
    And is eating! Hooray!
    I hope all will go well at the vet's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is good news that Tempo is now eating. It sounds hopeful that she and Brazil may become friends.

    ReplyDelete