Tuesday, July 16, 2024

My Problem Child

Tempo is going through a bad period. After a short time of eating and drinking well, she began refusing food last Saturday. She has turned her nose up at all cat-food, and was eating only human food - roast chicken and ground beef. Yesterday, she stopped eating even that. Sardines and other fish have no appeal for her. I know that she is hungry, but she won’t eat. She squats by water-bowls, as if she is thirsty, but won’t drink. I have begun syringe-feeding her, and I gave her an amount of Cerenia appropriate to her weight. She is scheduled to see the veterinary on Thursday - I couldn’t get her in earlier - but I hope that the Cerenia will have a positive effect by then.


She seems otherwise well, though I think she is weak from the lack of food. She purrs and is alert when she watches out the windows. She has chased insects, and so is not losing interest in the world - just in any kind of food. I know that some cats decline food when in heat, but the girl shows no signs of that right now. Having an adult go through this would be bad enough, but seeing a kitten with this strange malady is worrying. I don’t know that an appetite stimulant would help because, as I wrote, Tempo is hungry: she simply won’t eat.


Some good wishes directed her way won’t be refused.


18 comments:

  1. I'm sending Tempo (and you) my prayers and healing Light. I hope that whatever is wrong will soon be remedied. 🙏❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, little one, be well, and have a good meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing Tempo a desire to eat a meal as she must do that. And on her own not under duress. I am sure Thursday feels months away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tempo...love to you little sweet gurl. I am so sorry you are feeling badly for some reason. I wonder if your throat has an issue? XXXOOO for me and Katie isabella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, purrs and prayers to you sweet Tempo. I hope you start eating super soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may have tried this already, but when my first cat, Bill, was dying of oral cancer, he had little interest in food as I'm sure it hurt to eat. I thought of mother cats who stimulate their kittens to eat by licking them. While I didn't lick him, I did slowly, gently pet/stroke him while offering turkey baby food. It was crazy but it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending purrayers and Power of the Paw. My old blind boy will sometimes get this way when his nose is plugged up, and he is not always snuffly so that I catch on right away. ( He has nose drops, but the name escapes me and I don't' want to guess. ) If I warm the food a bit and lift the dish up so he doesn't have to lower his head, which just blocks his nose more. It sounds like you have gone even beyond that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, it does sound like Tempo is going to be the problem for a while I hope things sort themselves out soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh poor Tempo and poor you! Here's hoping the problem can be diagnosed and resolved quickly. Meanwhile, my thoughts and prayers are with you both. Please keep us informed about what the vet finds on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. tempo…st francis blessingz two ewe N eye hope bye de time ewe see
    thiz ewe haz consoomed food N water…N nothin iz bad wrong ore
    in yur throat 😢

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear this. I've been having trouble getting Tylan to eat enough. He is quite nauseous from the pancreatitis. I'm wondering if Tempo is also nauseous from something. Or maybe she has an upper respiratory issue and can't smell her food? In any case, please keep us posted. I hope the vet can get to the bottom of it and get her to feeling better very soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharing some purrs for your dear little Tempo and hopes that a vet visit will provide some answers for her, for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending purrrs and prayers for Tempo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck friends, we hope little miss starts snacking soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you tried offering Petromalt or a hairball remedy to Miss Tempo? Many years ago one of my newest cats refused to eat, had diarrhea and was crying dramatically in distress...Merwin went to the vet the next day but nothing was amiss...he came home and I thought to try giving him a dose of Petromalt...he coughed up a huge hairball and he started eating again! I will hope Miss Tempo feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's hoping that hunger and thirst overcomes whatever is bothering her. In the meantime, I know you'll continue to do what you can to ensure she is getting necessary fluids and nutrition. Purrs for Tempo coming her way.

    ReplyDelete