Tuesday, May 3, 2022

The Old Work-horse

One of my cat-bed heating pads broke. I would say it stopped working but, game veteran that it is, it actually still works. But it literally broke. It appeared to have snapped in half. It and its fellow (still in one piece) had a small amount of elasticity but not much. They may become brittle with the constant heat. But I don’t feel it’s safe to continue to run this pad, now that it is broken.


I bought these in November, 2011. They were a perfect fit for the two cat-beds I had recently bought. I could take the cushions out of the beds - a useful feature which I have found in very few other cat-beds - and place the pads between them and the bottoms of the beds.


They were efficient and hardy. They would run twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week for seven or eight months at a time. As cats grew older - first Tungsten, then Cammie, and finally, Josie - the pads ran all year ‘round. Being constantly on for years, yet remaining a consistent temperature and never presenting any safety issues are all good recommendations for such a product.


I have one more, just as I have one of the corresponding cat-beds remaining (the other fell apart; the beasts don’t treat them gently, and washing produced its share of wear and tear), and I have a heating ‘strip’, which is well-suited in shape to Minuet’s folded towel. But I will miss this fine old work-horse. It has served me and the cats well.


16 comments:

  1. hoping you can find as reliable a replacement; though sadly in this day and age that's hard to do with anything ~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a long life heating pad for sure. A bit of the same story on a smaller amount of money as KEAS LIFE BLOG, with stove, washer and fridge, mol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nowadays, it's pretty remarkable to find *anything* that has worked for over ten years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll echo the comments on good luck finding a replacement, and that whatever you do find probably won't last nearly as long. BTW, I would be worried about leaving something with a heating element on, unattended--but I do tend to be hyper-paranoid! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's almost like losing an acquaintance; you've worked together for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sure don't make things today the way they used to. I'd be surprised to find anything made today that would last 11 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Roberta, things aren't made the same these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're able to find a replacement. That's a good amount of time you got out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you can find a good replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darn. It's always difficult finding new things to replace the reliable old ones. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a good long time that it lasted. I am sure any new replacement won't last as long. Nothing ever does nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ALL of my kitchen applianced died a dignified death within six months of one another. They were all old. It was an expensive time for me. I have been waiting for the fridge to go and the dryer...as they have struggled along... 12 years for the dryer, and about 4 for the fridge so far. The fridge sounds untrustworthy. Your heating pad was a gem! I hope the same manufacturer makes it still!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a long life for the heating pad! I hope mine lasts that long, though it's always on, it's not used as much since Lucy passed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We bought a non-electric bed this past winter - it has a layer of the foil used in those "space blankets" under the cushion (non-removable). We cats took turns loving it. But it cannot be washed - spot cleaned only. You might be able to find something similar that better fits your needs. Our human is leery of us and electrical cords.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rest in Pieces, dear beloved and well loved Heating Pad!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hoping you can find a nice new replacement that will work as well!

    ReplyDelete