Monday, February 27, 2023

How My Ladies Sleep

Most of the time, Zofia and Imogen sleep in normal positions, curled up on something soft and warm. Now and then, however, they prefer something extraordinary.


Imogen, for instance, will periodically burrow under the heated blanket in the library. Initially, I thought she was hiding. But when she wants to be left alone, she will resort to a corner of the room behind a bookcase. I believe that when Imo slips under the blue blanket, she is merely enjoying the heat from above, rather than below. She has, after all, the couch’s cushion for warmth, so she is snug from both directions. Fortunately, she likes lying on top of the blanket when I am sitting with her.



Zofia is more idiosyncratic. Her favourite spot for being alone is under the moveable staircase next the bed. She is so slender that she can slip under its edge without trouble, though there is little more than an inch of space available for that. When she first snoozed there, I became quite worried as I couldn’t find her in the apartment. A curious kitten could be anywhere. I think I located her only because a bit of her was sticking out.



Little Miss Zed also likes backing herself under the comforter on the bed. And she has also decided that, when waking me - half an hour before I need to get up each morning - she will tunnel next to me under the sheets and then turn around and lie against me for a minute, before crawling out again. Considering her length and slenderness, I’m surprised I don’t have nightmares about being overrun by ferrets…


16 comments:

  1. Cats sleep, anywhere,
    Any table, any chair
    Top of piano, window-ledge,
    In the middle, on the edge,
    Open drawer, empty shoe,
    Anybody's lap will do,
    Fitted in a cardboard box,
    In the cupboard, with your frocks-
    Anywhere! They don't care!
    Cats sleep anywhere.

    ~Eleanor Farjeon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me see if my memory is any good. Didn't small Hector early on, use the same steps for hiding a bit? If so I wonder if Miss Z smells his scent under there as he was such a playmate. And seeing both girls just showing their tail tips, cute. Good thing they are different color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you’re quite correct, though Hector would get under the staircase and move it about. It was a playground for him more than a resort of rest, but you are right in that he would burrow under there.

      Delete
  3. LOVE these stories about what these girls are doing! Big treat for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cats have never been burrowers. I think it's so cute to see cats that enjoy burrowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Derry was a burrower (especially when hiding in fear), so much so that I often thought he might smother.

    Imogen is doing what I wish I could, until Spring arrives. And Zofia is just being her usual adorable, engaging self. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flynn was a burrower. I would often wake in the night to find him under the duvet cuddled up tight to me. They are both very cute finding places they like to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your two lady cats have purrsonality galore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Imogen has the right idea to stay warm. Zofia makes me laugh - at some point she won't be able to make it under the steps. Saku used to crawl under the couch when he was a kitten, and then one day he no longer fit. He too, likes to burrow under the covers occasionally. However, he tends to use his claws if I happen to move and gets removed rather quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Willow likes to tunnel under the sheets like Zofia, but she doesn't stay long. As soon as she gets comfortable, she jumps off the bed. Joey likes to sleep on my pillow, and Cassi likes to sleep right next to me making it impossible to move. Then there's 17 pound Pete who likes to sleep on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love for all mine to sleep on the bed with me, even Neville, the Former Thin Man.

      Delete
  10. That is cute how those ladies take their rest. Never a dull moment your Cozy Apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They all have their own funny little habits. You better tell us about the boys now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like my bed on top of a filing cabinet which is next to a floor vent.
    I love the warm air that blows up from the floor vent.
    I also love to sleep next to mum at night.
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete