Friday, February 10, 2023

Introducing Imogen

My new guest’s name is Imogen.


I was worried about her yesterday: I came home from work and it was clear that she had spent the whole day behind a corner bookcase. She hadn’t eaten or used the litter-box. These are always concerns for a number of reasons. In terms of health, eating and waste production are, of course, essential. In terms of labour, I don’t fancy the idea of syringe-feeding a distrusting, frightened cat. And, generally, a feline who hides isn’t feeling good about her situation.



But last evening, Imogen came out of her safe-spot and lie on top of the bookcases. Even better, she didn’t hide when I came into the room. I sat on the couch and read for a while. I was watched from a distance. But then Imogen started grooming herself; in itself, a sign of improvement, but also an indication that my presence didn’t alarm her. She later allowed me to touch her, though she clearly would rather I don’t. This is a step in the right direction because, firstly, I will need to handle her to put her in a carrier for her eventual veterinary appointment, and, secondly, my rule is that I not let a new cat out of the library unless I am able to put her back in.



By this morning, she had used the litter-box. There was just a tiny poop - she hasn’t eaten much in the last twenty-four hours - but a sizeable urine-lump, which suggests that she is drinking water, which I thought she was not. She had also eaten the small portion of soft food I had left her. When I went to work, I provided her with more soft-food, but gave her two varieties, as well as two kinds of hard-food.



Imogen spent much of the night crying in a soft, quiet way. However her human treated her - and I have no reason to think it wasn’t well - and whatever her life was like, she obviously and naturally misses it. She was, from her point of view, waiting for her person to come home when strangers broke in, restrained her, stuffed her in a cage and took her to an unknown location, all the while telling her that she would be all right. She has no idea if her human is looking for her or missing her, or even what happened to her. Imogen will come around; I think she will make the transition to her new foster-home successfully, and without a great delay. But right now, she is suffering loneliness and fear. Only time and patience will change that.


17 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to wee Imogen.
    You are correct, though...she will come around.
    Pretty kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Imogen, please like your new Cosy Apartment. Dr. Bellen provides the best accomodations around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Imogen, I can imagine how confused she is by this sudden upheaval. My Lucy came to live with us because her owner, an elderly man with no relatives, had to go into the hospital. (He eventually died there.) I still remember how agitated she was when we put her in a carrier and brought her home with us--and she knew us very well by then! I hope Imogen will soon realize that she's lucky enough to have been brought to a very good home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is heartbreaking for Imogen. She has no idea, as you said, where her mom has gone and why she, Imogen, was taken from the security of her home. She must have been loved a great deal by her mom. The fact that the mom left that note so that Imogen would not be alone to starve and suffer, tells me they had a loving relationship. That the woman left all her belongings is alarming; and I wish someone related or a friend would inquire of her with your local police force. She tried to take care of Imogen. She didn't turn her out, and she made sure the manager knew she was left alone in there. Imogen darling girl, I am grateful you are in the Cozy Apartment. You will be too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that whatever's going on with Imogen's person does seem ominous. For her to leave a note asking for someone to look after her cat and then disappear, leaving belongings behind, does suggest she's in some sort of serious trouble.

      Delete
  5. This situation is so sad. Poor Imogen. I agree with Katie - Imogen and her mom loved each other very much. I just hope Imogen's mom is OK and whatever caused her to leave Imogen will be resolved quickly. Meanwhile, it will take time for Imogen to settle in at the Cosy Apartment, but she is in the best possible place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The poor girl must be so confused. She must feel she should be at home waiting for her mom to return. If only we could explain to them. I am sure she will soon settle in and realise she is in a safe and loving place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww John, you understand sweet Imogen well. Everytime Pops has moved with me she hides under the bed and howls for a week, so i think Imogens response to all the change is warrented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to cry for her, my heart breaks. Lots of purrayers that she soon understands, in her kitty way, that you're here to help her, John. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, I'm so sorry that Imogen was abandoned. That she missing her human mom suggests she was shown love, and I have to wonder at what would have caused her person to leave so suddenly and without Imogen. I'm sure she'll soon come around and understand that she has a new human to care for her soon, and is accepting of her new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is really scary and confusing for her but you'll bring her around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel so bad for what she went through. I am glad she is coming around though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is terribly heartbreaking for the kitty when she can't understand what has happened. But, I know too how well kitties adapt and I am hoping sooner rather than later that Imogen knows that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah! Bless the little lady...hope she
    adjusts very soon...!x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so heart wrenching to read...Imogen seems so distraught abut what is happening, and has happened. Poor girl is so confused and sad. I would be crying as if in mourning too.

    Meanwhile time heals much, and we sure hope that soon the bad memory will fade and a new love will emerge.

    Our first cat, Groucho was sort of like that, he had to be re homed at about age seven, dude too severe health issues with his first family...so we adopted him..and he hid from us for many days and merowled tons at night...but evenually he became quite the lover and lap cat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My heart is breaking for poor Imogen. We are glad she is with you, John.

    ReplyDelete
  16. we hope yur purrson iz abe bull two come bak home soon imogen, we noe ewe iz scared but yur all sew in grate handz....we will ask st francis two stay bye yur side coz he will help make ewe feel lezz scared ♥♥

    ReplyDelete