Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Small Leaps

Imogen is showing herself to be a sweet-natured girlcat. She spends most of her time in the library, and her favourite pastime is simply to lie on the heated blanket next to me and receive face- and chin-rubs. Her purrs are becoming more audible, though she also kneads a great deal when she is feeling good.


She comes out of the library periodically. She and Zofia got into a fight a few days ago. I don’t know if Zofia tried to start something; I think it more likely that she simply was too forward. Nonetheless, there were screams and blows exchanged. Since then, I put Zo in the bedroom - where she likes to relax of an evening anyway - and open the library door. Imo doesn’t always come out. When she does, she is very cautious, and won’t approach Neville or Renn, though she doesn’t hiss at them much, either. I hope to integrate the newcomer with the oldsters first, and then move on to the kitten.


An interesting occurence took place last night. Imogen was exploring in the bathroom and was on the counter by the basin. I came up to her and, without warning, she jumped on to my shoulders. She didn’t use her claws either to secure her landing or to stay in place; she used balance to maintain herself, but dropped to the floor about twenty seconds later.


I don’t think I’ve had a cat leap to my shoulders since Tungsten. One or two have climbed onto them, but not jump. Had Imogen done this with her person? Is it something new to her? Why did she do it? I can’t answer these questions, but I know that it is another sign of her trust that she would try it at all.


Though she may be fine with other cats after a patient and gradual integration, I think Imogen will always be at her best as an only-cat. It’s people she loves, and, as there are many humans who enjoy the company of an easy-going, affectionate and undemanding feline, I think this trusting lady will find her perfect home some day. In the meantime, I will have the pleasure of her presence.


10 comments:

  1. That is the most pleasant of surprises and a treat indeed given you by Imogen. How extra nice! I am still smiling. Maybe you are as well. Wouldn't be surprised if one day when she is able to get to you, you'll have a sweet little girlcat snuggling next to your head at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pity she and Zofia got into a tussle. I'm sure the little gray girl meant well, but I can imagine that her exuberance must have been startling for the newcomer.

    There are so many people who would love having a cat that prefers their company to that of other felines. Perhaps Imogen will find such a person someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope in time there is a truce between Imogen and Zofia. But, I know with my two girls, Boo at 20 still does not 'like' Annabelle all that much. They tolerate each other is the best way to describe their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet heart, she is going to do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, she does love you!
    A couple of our 6 did that get up on the shoulder thing, when they were small kittens, but never when they were full grown, except for if we put them there, LOL!
    I sure hope that sooner or later you'll be telling us that Imogen and Zofia started too play with eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Imogen sure settled in quite nicely. She bonded with you very quickly, but it may take time for her to feel comfortable around the other cats. It looks like she would be happiest being an "only child".

    ReplyDelete
  7. None of my cats has ever jumped onto my shoulders. It's great that Imogen did that with you, she certainly trusts you. I hope she finds a forever home as an only cat sooner than later, so she can truly relax and flourish. In the meantime, she has the best foster home any kitty could have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Imogen is a very sweet girl and showing you how much she trusts you. Kit would jump up on my shoulder and ride around up there. She was only a little lady of between 5 and 6 pounds though. Flynn liked to get up there too. but I only allowed it when I was sitting down. At 16 pounds I wouldn't want to try walking around with him up there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not had a cat jump onto my shoulders either, and I'm much shorter than you John. :p Obviously she's very trusting you and I do hope she finds a forever home soon.

    ReplyDelete