Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Why They Go

A number of readers have commented on my blog, in connection with Hector’s adoption, that they don’t think they could foster, as it would be too difficult to give a cat up to someone else. I can certainly understand those feelings.

I have not formed the same sorts of bonds with all the cats I have fostered. Of those recently, Hector has been a tough one to let go, because, as I wrote in my last entry, I didn’t really think I would ever have to. As well, he had become more affectionate with me, lying under my desk by my feet when I worked at the computer, for an example. Horace, on the other hand, I liked tremendously, and would have had no problem keeping. Yet, though we were good friends, we didn’t have the same connection that Hec and I did. As well, I knew without a doubt how easily Ivory would settle into his new home. That was not the case with Hector. It was only with the news that he and his new roommate had become playmates as well that my mind was set at ease.

Similarly, though I have great fondness for Zofia, my parting with her would not be like letting Hector go; I know little Miss Zed would adapt well and be her happy, carefree self within a short time in a new home.

Reluctance to let them go is determined as much by how well I think they will prosper – and how soon – in a new world, as by how I will feel about their absence. I must be confident that they would be at least as content as they are with me – and that they would be understood, in the way they need to be. The latter is one of the reasons why I adopted some of my foster-cats: Cammie, for instance.

But letting a foster-cat go to a loving and happy home does something else. It frees a spot for another cat who isn’t fortunate enough to be loved, or isn’t ready to move on as someone’s pet. This is always in the back of my mind: that I will have room for another. I never try to accelerate an adoption for this reason; the prospective home must be exactly right for the foster-cat, or else he stays with me. Nonetheless, when it works out, as in Hector’s case, and Horace’s, there is a double victory: a cat finds a family who will love him and whom he will love, and another cat can prepare that journey for himself.

It can be a jolt, letting them go. But I am not the best that most cats can have. That awaits them beyond the Cosy Apartment. If one remains with me, then I try to be all he needs. If one goes, then it is to a better family, a better home; I am certain of that – otherwise, it would not happen. But he goes, and another comes. It’s rarely easy; it’s sometimes nearly impossible. But it’s always good.

19 comments:

  1. In the last paragraph of your post you wrote, "I am not the best that most cats can have". I must disagree with you, John. There are very few cat owners that have the ability to understand, love and care for cats as well as you do. Any cat that has the opportunity to live in the Cosy Apartment is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, and very well put. Though I do understand that there could be better environments long-term, particularly if the cat really prefers to be an only pet (or only cat, at least). But John, you do more than most of us could, I think. I burned out just trying to manage Nicki's and then Derry's health issues on my own. You seem to be more resilient, more able to cope with the problems. That's a true gift.

      Delete
    2. I absolutely agree with Roberta - you've made your Cosy Apartment the best it can be for any cat fortunate enough to stay with you, either temporarly or permanently.

      Delete
  2. These cats are lucky to be cared for and loved by you John, whether for a short time or a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said it a few times before John...You are
    a diamond, something l for one could'nt do...
    I became a single parent back in 1982, my
    daughter was five years of age, l raised her
    on my own for 14yrs...
    After a few months l decided to look into
    adopting...went through several interviews,
    all o.k. but they wanted me to foster for
    12 months...which l would'nt do...so that
    was that, l could'nt foster a child for say a
    few weeks/months then let them go, plus
    the fact you never know what age they are!
    Sounds silly l know, but l could'nt even do it
    with a cat....But then..each to his own...!
    But then we Sicilians are a very emotional race...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always provide the best foster home. And you are a great cat dad at all times. They're very lucky to have you either temporary or permanent no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the above comment.
    Letting them go could be hard, but ,as you say, it makes room for the next needy cat. Having said that, I think you will always have a soft spot for Hector. You are doing a wonderful thing for the many homeless cats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left a reply to Roberta's comment, but I'll just add that I do think about fostering in the future, depending on what my life looks like. I'm not sure how I would be as a foster mom, given I tend to have such a nervous, high-strung, anxious disposition. Not the best personality type to be a pet mom, temporary or not! (I have to work really hard to counter my natural instincts!)

    But I admit I'm missing the companionship of fur babies. I know in my heart I'm not ready to take on the responsibility again, and might never be, but I still need four-legged "babies" in my life, it's not the same without that.

    Anyway, I hope Zofia will be next to find her forever home. She's such a sweetheart, John, I can't imagine NOT falling in love with her. I love that photo of her, she's adorable. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. It, the picture, could not be more fitting to what we all feel is her disposition and sweetness.

      Delete
  7. You have to be a certain type of person to do what you do, and I admire you and all the others who foster out there. You provide the best home where they can get ready for adoption, and also for the permanent and longer term residents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It frees a spot for another cat who isn’t fortunate enough to be loved, or isn’t ready to move on as someone’s pet."

    Very true. I was struck by how Imogen needed a home so soon after Horace moved to his new home. And at least you know that Hector will be happy and loved for the rest of his days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are literally hundreds of cats in need of a foster-home in my town (I know because last year, I took calls to the rescue-group that amounted to more than seven hundred cats whom people wanted us to take in), so I could have cats coming in one right after the other. But I try to have at least a week or so between cats, to relax a bit - and to allow the resident cats here to relax a bit, too.

      Delete
  9. Good-bye is the goal, and I hope to foster someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think yours would be an excellent foster-home.

      Delete
  10. If I started fostering, even though I know full well what the goal is, I would be a failure I know. I am too loving toward them and would... not deliberately... make them my own. I know my faults and that would be one standing in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. John I can see from this far distance how lucky these cats that come and go are with you as their caretaker. I fully understand that the goings allow more to come and it is a good thing for the cats themselves. But the emotional side I suspect is what some of us hold that holds us back from fostering, although for lack of a better term I am fostering 6 throwaways in my own way. I do feel if that indoor fostering may call to me one day when I feel that the long term commitment may not be in the cats best interest to mine, which I mean as my age is too advanced to think in terms of 15-20 years of nurturing. Fostering would be ideal I think if and when that time arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your outsider-cats are doing well. They are fortunate to have you looking out for them.

      Delete
  12. We do totally understand all of that but I don't think I could let them go either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That thought of being a foster kitty mom has entered my mind a lot, after Pipo & Minko became angels...I think for me it would be best to get my 'kitty fix' by volunteering at one of our local shelters, there are several. Our vet runs a (Small)shelter as well...that would be my first place to try and help.

    ReplyDelete