Friday, May 8, 2015

A Princess Under the Weather

Cammie is unwell. She has some rather ugly growths on her skin, in the semi-bald patches near her eyes. These growths swell and burst, releasing some blood and puss. She has had recurrences of these symptoms for some time, but they have never been as bad as this. They usually resemble small pimples and, if there is an amount of blood, it is minute.

She has been to the doctor, who considered the possibility of a food allergy but thinks they may be caused by eosinophilic granuloma complex. The trouble with this diagnosis is that that condition - and all others that were postulated - create itchiness. Cammie does not scratch the inflammation more than normal. In fact, I think I’ve seen her scratch her head once or twice in a couple of weeks. Less than a cat with an ordinary itch would scratch. She does not rub the area, either. It is not sensitive to my touch.

The Siamese princess has retained most of her appetite. She is eating a little less, but not so little that I am concerned. She even plays. Last evening, she jumped on to my lap and purred for an extended period. She has a new pastime, as well: getting onto my upper chest when I lie down and squatting right by my throat, where she purrs and purrs while I pet her. (As her claws are often kneading the skin at my carotid artery, I am comforted that the talons were cut recently…) This is one instance in which having an animal at my throat is a desirable thing. In any case, these are not signs of a severe effect from illness.


She is a little under the weather, though I can’t describe the growths’ effects on her as more than that. They are unsightly, to say the least. I have been applying Surolan to the parts of her head in question. At first, she would have nothing to do with the ointment. But I simply pick her up, carry her to the bathroom (to keep us isolated from the others) and rub it on. She has protested very little at this, perhaps relieved that she is not being force-fed hairball medicine. I have not seen any relief due to the Surolan, but it is early days yet.

To be honest, I think the doctor is puzzled by what Cammie is suffering. Aside from the hideous appearance and a mild malaise, my latest perma-cat is not suffering strongly from the condition. If the topical ointment does not help, she will be switched to the oral medicine, which will be tougher to serve but hopefully even tougher on the condition.

The princess is a sensitive cat, and may be feeling stress from Tungsten’s absence. The orange one did not like Cammie, but held some fascination for her. There is definitely a vacuum in the household without the tiny terror’s personality, and I wouldn’t doubt that the beasts feel it. I hope to report some progress in Cammie’s state after the weekend. Until then, I will get her on my chest and purring as much as possible.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, we sure hate to hear that. Purrs to the purrty Princess from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeepers, poor Cammie! I've never heard of this and hope the topical ointment helps. If you do need to look at something else, and if she's hard to pill, you can always try to have the med compounded into a tasty (?) flavour via the vet's compounding pharmacy. Anyway, lots of purrs from the boys to her; we all hope she's better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending Cammie many purrs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope this proves to be nothing serious. I guess the vet has ruled out feline acne. Jessie used to break out in acne at times. Poor Cammie. We hope this clears up soon. From Eileen and Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is acne, it's worse than anything I've seen before. Yet it wouldn't be itchy, would it? That would fit this case...

      Delete
    2. No acne is not itchy. I don't think. Jessie's acne was around her chin. I do hope this clears up for poor Cammie. From Eileen and Jessica

      Delete
    3. Yes, I figured that to be the case. Both Tungsten and Renn had acne. It was very mild, very infrequent; little black dots on the chin.

      Delete
  5. Poor Cammie, I hope this ointment takes care of these growths. With any luck it is an allergy and will disappear.

    Enjoy the extra cuddles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Cammie! I hope the ointment helps and the growths clear up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please hug and kiss Cammie for me. If she has eosinophilic granuloma she needs all the love and caring she can get. I went through this with Alfie and the sooner you can get Cammie on steroids the better.
    Alfie had two types, the nodular type that sounds like what Cammie has and the indolent/ rodent ulcer. My vet started Alfie on oral steroids and antibiotics for prevention of secondary infection of the lesions. We got nowhere with this and, after 2 weeks, I took Alfie to the ER. The doctor there was more familiar with this and said Alfie's case was quite developed, He perscribed steroid injection every couple of days and 2 other medications for him as well. I don't remember exactly what they were as this was about 3-4 years ago. But I do know that had we hit it hard early on with the steroids Alfie would have recovered sooner. Of concern, in Cammie's case, is the proximity of the lesions to her eyes. You'll have to keep particularly close watch on her corneas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The infection seems a little better today but not enough. I will return Cammie to the veterinary early this week if the situation doesn't improve. I am concerned about the proximity to the eyes, as well, and it merely being on the head is a worry. Thank you for sharing your story; I am grateful for any information on cat-health. I will keep everyone updated.

      Delete
  8. Tat sounds unpleasant. I hope it heals up quick with no more troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do think you are correct that the stress of losing Tungsten could be causing this being that it is a recent thing . I think a food allergy would have been noticed earlier. I will ass her to my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete