Monday, February 25, 2019

I Remember

For someone who likes history as much as I do, it is surprising that, in my own life, dates are not very important. I will note when a significant event occurs, and I will commemorate it if I remember it, but I don’t always remember it.

Five years ago today, my foster-cat and friend, Bear-Bear, died. I almost forgot the actual anniversary. But it doesn’t matter. I remember Bear-Bear.

I recall that the BB was a long cat, and that he liked to eat his soft-food on the second step of the stairs to the basement of my house. He used to make a ‘raa’ sound, sometimes a ‘rao’, if he was in that sort of mood. I remember he loved laps, and moments before he died at the veterinary hospital, when he was very weak, he tried to crawl on to my lap. I placed him there, and that’s where he passed away.


I remember my friend, Tungsten, too. She died thirteen months after Bear-Bear, on March 26th, 2015. She was my first cat, and paid the price too many times for my ignorance of, and inexperience with, feline kind. But she was tolerant. Well, to an extent. She was the top-cat, once I started bringing in others. She liked to curl around my hand while lying on my lap, and lie in it while we slept in bed. She was very small, physically, but a giantess in spirit.


So too will I remember Parker, when his time comes. That will be shortly, I fear. I will note the day of his death, and I will commemorate it, if I recollect it at the time. But if I don’t, it won’t matter. I will remember him. I will remember all of them.

16 comments:

  1. Is it five years already that Bear-Bear died? My goodness, how true is the old adage that time flies.

    This is a lovely post in remembrance of him, and of Tungsten too.

    My thoughts and prayers continue to be with Parker, and with you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised it was so long ago, too. I remember them both well. No one--animal or human--really dies as long as they live in the memories of others.

      Delete
  2. I also remember them all. Even if I'm not writing about them after they're gone.
    And I miss them so much :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post gives me leaky eyes, as the sorrow of the passing of my own cats reruns in my heart. You are correct; the exact date isn't the issue; it's the love and friendship that never fades...it just gets hidden for a little while, until the feelings burst forth again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember their passing too. Many tears were shed on my end. You write about each one of them so personally that I feel like I know them so well! I'm tearing up already just thinking of Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leaky eyes here too. I remember Tungsten but I didn't get to meet Bear- Bear. IT is a grievous time when they leave us. I never forget those times though the exact numerical date is not always in the forefront...within a few days, it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot help but remember all the time. But, I know too that it's so important to note that grief is nothing but remembering you had something to love so fiercely and so completely that it is worth the cost of the pain. I almost think that the anticipatory grief is as hard on a totally different level. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post is beautiful, but like your other readers, it gave me leaky eyes. I've had 12 cats over the years, and each one that went over Rainbow Bridge is remembered- usually with tears being shed. Perhaps that's a good thing. By keeping them in our hearts, our cats are never really gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is true we remember them every day. Little things remind us of our cat companions long after they have gone. BB, Tungsten will always have a place in your heart as will Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm horrid at dates, and only approximate the year and sometimes month of the passing of my cats. But as you say, I'll never forget them. I'm thankful I started blogging for them, because that too is a way to remember. And my memory gets even worse, I can go back and read the posts.

    Purrs from the kitties to Parker.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  10. no matter how long, we keep a piece of them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember Bear Bear and of course, Tungsten. Those we have loved so well always continue to live in our hearts. Nothing can take that from us. I so hope that Parker has longer than his prognosis suggests.

    ReplyDelete