Friday, March 26, 2021

Our Splendid Days

Early in February, 2019, after Parker had been diagnosed with cancer, I wrote an entry on my blog about how his good days were splendid days. I knew he did not have long to live - though, in fact, he outlasted the veterinary’s prediction by some months - but there were days when Parker ate well, played, walked in the sunshine, and purred. Those I chose to think of as splendid days.


Tucker is now facing physical tribulation. It may be asked, “When has he not?” The poor roly poly has fought urinary blockage, diabetes, had all his teeth removed and is now facing stage three kidney failure. He is being fed all sorts of medicines. Some days he is lethargic, and I think he is despondent.


But other days, he is his usual cheerful self. He meets me at the door when I come home, and talks to me about his day. I like to think he is telling me that he’s glad to see me. I pick him up and he purrs some more.


Mirtazapine has a sporadic effect on Tucker, and will make him eat well one day and not the next. On the days when he eats sparingly, I will supplement his consumption with syringe-feeding. It doesn’t put a lot more food into him, but it helps keep him going on those poor days.


He doesn’t play any more, but he will still smack the lint-roller if it looks like it needs it - and, for some reason, Tucker thinks it needs it often - and he will still purr when I play peek-a-boo with him. A good brushing is always enjoyed, and, now and then, he ambles over to me while I’m in the kitchen and rubs against me.


His blood-glucose numbers are re-arranging themselves, and I hope to see a new pattern emerge that will give me some control over them. Until then, my little sausage-shaped cat puts up with needle-pricks to the ears, though he can’t understand why they are being inflicted upon him. And his kidneys, dying, cannot cleanse his body the way they should, but subcutaneous fluids are helping as much as they can.


I have learned much from my cats. Parker showed me that if one day is bad, the next may be good, and the fact that it brightens the darker periods makes it not just good, but splendid. Cats don’t worry too much about the future, I believe, and so a good day to them is a good life, and a bad day is merely something to be endured until the next day brings something better.


While my Day of Remembering has past for the year, I note that Tungsten died six years ago today. She and Bear-Bear, Parker and Cammie, Raleigh and Josie taught me that while there may be misery and suffering, a cat forgets all of it on the good days. When there is clean water and a full tummy, sunshine to lie in and a comfy, warm bed at night, the bad days don’t matter as much. When there is purring, there are good days; when there is purring, there are splendid days.


For Tucker and me, these are our splendid days.


18 comments:

  1. And may the splendid days last longer. It's been a difficult couple years with all you and the cats have had. Tucker and all of you are
    in my thoughts every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the good days outnumber the bad days for a long while to come! You're taking such great care of Tucker, and I know he loves you for it. You have been going through a rough time for awhile now, but I know that things will improve for you, Tucker, Renn and Neville in time. Meanwhile, you have my thoughts and good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, positive attitude. May you and all the cats have many more splendid days together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can totally relate, splendid days are a real joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate. I know those splendid days for them, and I rejoice with them too. My days have become super- charged with joy and optimism when they are happy like that. The days of feeling better are to be held with both hands and firmly lest they slide through our grip when we are unaware while concentrating on loving the day and the cat. Our dear little ones are small, warm, brilliant suns shining in our lives. When they are very ill...sometimes, there IS joy in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purrayers and Power of the Paw to you and Tucker and all who care for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you and Tucker many more splendid days ahead. The kitties send their purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a moving and thoughtful post. I have a lump in my throat...
    Nevertheless, its good that there are still good days and even splendid ones. May they long continue. ♥

    Purrs, Pawyers and POTP for you all:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do agree. We are so happy for good days and they do become splendid days. May Tucker have very many more splendid days.
    I had a splendid day myself yesterday when I received the phone call to say my last CT scan showed no change, i.e. no further spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed splendid news! You and Ivor must be very pleased - all your friends on the Cat Blogosphere certainly are. Excellent!

      Delete
    2. For certain. When Katie's favorite brother gets one like that occasionally it is like the sun just came out. Jackie...I love your wonderful news.

      Delete
    3. That is wonderful news and may you have many many many good days to come

      Delete
  10. We humans have a lot to learn from our cat friends.
    Purring for Tucker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all could certainly learn a lot from our cats. Hoping for more good days for Tucker and you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Tucker has a lot of challenges and there will be trouble but when a cat is happy it is like the whole world is smiling on them. They enjoy small pleasures and seem to revel in them so deeply. I try and think of that when I have my own health issues.
    Our Rumpy has had some very bad days with his asthma and his attacks seem to last longer but then he comes up and is happy as anything. He is still the bad kitty he has always been lording over the family. He purrs like a monster truck grabbing his treats and chases his spring across the floor. We may know their candle is burning low but their spirit and enjoyment shines through lifting both themselves and us to a bright new day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. (Good old Rumpy...)

      Delete
    2. Loved what Tim and Rumpy's Dad said and your true experience post, John.
      Both of you know.

      Delete
  13. So special. We purr and pray that you and Tucker have many more splendid days together.

    ReplyDelete