Thursday, February 17, 2022

A New View for Madame

Minuet goes to the doctor today for her general examination. I will also have her claws cut (she’s getting stuck to the carpet in the library) and her bum-fur trimmed.


She has been with me for less than three weeks, but I think she is doing well, considering she was dropped into a strange world after sixteen years in a familiar one. The problems that caused her to be surrendered would appear to have been resolved.


Minuet spent sixteen years wetting in front of, rather than in, her litter-box. Prior to her adoption, she had been returned at least thrice by people who didn’t want to work with a cat who couldn’t hit the litter. At least the person who at last gave her up stuck with her for a decade and a half, abandoning her up only when she had to move and a cat who had litter-box issues was too great a difficulty. From the start, however, Min has used the litter-box correctly in the Cosy Apartment. I attribute this to my liberal application of Cat-Attract litter, which the previous owner used, but sparingly. Minuet has wet outside but not since her first week here, and then only twice, in isolated instances. I can’t help thinking that the ease with which she changed her aim, after sixteen years or more, suggests that she simply grew to think of the litter-box as the place to wet in front of, rather than in; habit, and not need.


Her diabetes is a non-issue. I will consult with the veterinary about this and have her test Minuet’s blood today, too. But from what I can see, Madame never had diabetes. The belief that she did was another reason she was given up.


Minuet’s certainly had her troubles with me. Stress caused her tremendous diarrhea, and that left its evidence all over the library, unfortunately. It was clearly something she could not control. Extensive use of Feliway, aided by pro-biotic in her food, appears to have corrected that problem. She later experienced another bout of diarrhea, but this time, she made every deposit in the box, so I wonder if the cause, resulting in a more controlled if still fluid output, was different this second time. Her last three deposits have been firmer.


I am not complacent about the end of these issues. Minuet appears prone to stress, so wetting or pooping inside the litter-box may never be something I can take for granted with her. But if she is still uncomfortable and untrusting, each day lessens those qualities. She is beginning to know the routine, and routine is a great comfort to cats. As well, she is exploring her new home more. Unable to hear, I think she judges that the coast is clear by watching for other felines passing by her open door; when none does, she feels it’s safe to look about.


And then there is this. I nailed a strip of carpet to the top of my low bookcase under the library window, not just for a soft surface but for grip, but pondered how to entice Minuet up there, or whether I should, considering her age. But yesterday, I came home to see this.




I watched her climb up there this morning. She does it slowly, carefully, but steps from the back of the couch to the top of the bookcase, using her front claws. Coming down, she relies on momentum. She is in good shape for such a senior, I believe, and this move has given her something to break the monotony of her day while I am gone.


We have a long way to go, Minuet and I, and I hope she  - and I! - will stay long enough for the Cosy Apartment to become Madame’s home.


14 comments:

  1. Just look at her! Like a princess!
    I am so glad she 'found' you to be her helper/rehabber at this point in her life. Hope the vet gives a favorable report, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really is a lovely old girl, definitely looking like a princess up there. Way to go!

    We have fingers and paws crossed that all goes well at her vet appointment. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bit by bit, Minuet is making The Cosy Apartment hers.
    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as though, Minuet is improving in her quality of life at
    the Cosy Apartment. And for her age, that is wonderful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky Minuet to have found a "safe place to land" with you John. I'm sure she'll continue to make good progress with and under your care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be anxious to hear what the vet thinks of Minuet. But some of the things you mentioned are not surprising. One of the first things that's recommended for litter box problems is to change the brand of litter. You did this and the problem was solved It's unfortunate that the previous owner let this problem go on for 16 years and finally had to re-home the cat. It seems that Minuet's diabetes is in remission, (if in fact she ever had it to begin with), so that's good news. Stress can cause cats to have diarrhea, so I'm sure that once Minuet adapts to the Cosy Apartment, this problem will also resolve. All that said, I'm so happy that Minuet now has a home with you, John. Your love and patience has done wonders for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is nice to know she is exploring new places more, and she looks happy up in the window. I hope her vet appointment goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is all such great news, I hope the Vet gives Minuet a good report. Her being able to be up and see out of the window must give her great satisfaction. Way to go Minuet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is doing so good and we hope you figure out lots of stress relief for that sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a smart little girl. She has incredibly human eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could explain to her what has happened to her world. Then again, it might only break her heart.

      Delete
    2. It would. Imagine having to explain that the human she lived with for 16 years didn't want her anymore. Although I do think animals sense such things without being told.

      Delete
  11. I am so happy she was up there by herself and that she had that carpeted bookcase to go to. How in the world she knew she could now rest atop softness is amazing to me. I missed this yesterday as well as her having gone to the Vet. I have never missed two blogs ever here at the Cozy Apartment.

    ReplyDelete