Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Is It Just Me?


Am I the only one who is reminded of Mad Magazine’s Spy vs Spy?


Auric continues to try to involve Hector in chases and wrestling matches. I watched them last night, and decided not to intervene so often. I have been breaking them up whenever Hector starts to protest, thinking that it was becoming too much for the dark knight. In some cases, it is.


In other instances, however, Hector will run away from Auric, only to start something again, or put himself in a vulnerable position, a minute later. As well, when the two of them grapple, there is no hissing or growling. Even at the worst of times, Hector’s ears are never back; he’s never in a fighting stance. When Hec is chased up a cat-tree by his foster-brother, he doesn’t stay there, as Neville will if he’s tired of Hector’s attentions. Instead, Hector jumps down again, setting himself up to be attacked by Auric once more.


Other times, the two of them sit near each other, perform normal activities - such as eating - without interference. I realised that while the Golden Boy may come on too strongly for his slightly older roommate, no one is being hurt, no one feels fearful; there is no avoidance or hiding. I will let them play - or fight, as the case may be. If Auric gets carried away, I will step in. But I may have been spoiling their fun more than I’ve been preventing bullying.


And when it comes to boycats and their tussles, spoiling their fun will never do.

14 comments:

  1. For the past 6 years, I've had a former feral kitten living in my back yard. (He's now completely socialized; he just doesn't want any part of living in a house.) Most days, I let Ernie out for supervised romps in the back. When he's out with Blackie, they do the same thing; they take turns making guerrilla attacks on each other, they chase each other around, have the occasional wrestling match. With them, it's just fun. When one or other of them tires of the activity, they simply walk away, and that's that.

    I think that's the case with Auric and Hector. I hope what we're seeing is a case of male bonding, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me, far more entertaining
    than some of the rubbish like soaps
    on the TV..I could and used to sit
    and watch my four all night long!
    Especially at Christmas time with
    the tree up..! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. I think it's male bonding too. Hector would tell you if it was bothering him that much. I get the allusion to Spy vs Spy. I loved Mad magazine back when it was really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like the tussles Nicki and Derry would have every day. I knew it was play MOST of the time, and only stepped in the odd time when things got nasty (that was Nicki's doing, when it happened).

    I hope they continue to tussle and play fight; it certainly IS entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recall my older brother reading the Mad Magazine, but I never really got into it. I'll believe you when the you say the reference is apt. :)

    Auric and Hector remind me of my daughter's cat's, Sheldon and Stanley. They have a tussle every morning (and sometimes during the night) with lots of rolling around and running back and forth. Undine is right...male bonding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there is no hissing or growling I would say it is most likely play fighting. Enjoy the entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Da Boyz chase each other, bite, kick, squabble, and my blood pressure starts going up, up, UP! The Hubby, however, says "They are fine!", and will only intervene if they are wrecking the house. In my mind, CB is more often the aggressor, but Manny puts himself in that vulnerable position again and again, so am guessing this is normal cat behavior, in spite of my brain telling me it's the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how many issues of mad magazine I read back in "me yooth"

    in fact I think I still have a "book" with some of the cartoons in it...

    spy versus spy....I remember :)☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mad Magazine, hadn't thought of it in years. Funny thought on the
    boys there. It's probably good for them to feel their oats together
    on the playtime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Memories of Eric and Flynn. It is sometimes hard to tell the difference, but it's my understanding that as long as there is not hissing and growling, the two cats involved are play fighting. That's how young cats learn proper cat behavior. If the youngster gets too rough, his "mentor" will vocalize to let him know it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They really do seem grateful for each others company!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They seem to need to let off steam as it were!! What better way that a wrestling match and a good chase!?!

    No hissing, or growling, sure; let it be:). Minko & Pipo would do this too, but when they got too aggressive you could tell by the difference in vocal sounds, and their ears and bottle brush tails.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha! I forgot about Spy vs Spy! Funny how you relate that to Auric and Hec but it seems appropriate.
    I always worry when mine are going at it. It's always TomTom in the thick of it. Lots of time outs at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Growing up I always read Mad Magazine...good memories!
    Glad to see these two getting on so well. MOL

    ReplyDelete