Thursday, June 2, 2022

Contented in the Sun

The sun has moved back to northern latitudes, and shines cheerily into the Cosy Apartment. In the evenings, in fact, clear skies can lead to it being a bit too cosy, since our windows face due west, into the setting sun. But the cats are enjoying the rich sunshine of late spring.


Josie used to be my primary sun-cat. My Chubs would lie in the sun, sometimes while in a heated cat-bed; her weight, when it was ample, adding to the heat. My other cats have all enjoyed the sun but her successor seems to be Hector.



Though black, and thus more absorptive of the sun’s rays than my Great White was, the dark knight nonetheless likes to feel the natural warmth along the length of his body, the fur of which gives off a ruddy tint when lit up.


I like to see a cat basking in the sun. It provides something extra to feline contentedness. But then so does the knowledge that Hector had just come from annoying one of the oldsters. He evidently felt he deserved a bit of the sun, and was undoubtedly contended.


18 comments:

  1. Oh that Hec!
    But we know the joys of petting a sunwarmed housepanther, and are continually amazed by the rich colours of fur when in bright sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once saw two cats lying side by side in the sun. Out of the sun, they were both quite black. In the sun, one had a red tinge and one a blue. It was beautiful to see.

      Delete

  2. After some inexplicable reasoning G*gg*le decided it knows me again. Why? I haven't a clue. To go from not being allowed to sign in to being able to comment anonymously to now being myself. I am just stunned, anyway I just wanted to let you know why after commenting yesterday anonymously! My babies love the sun and move around all day to catch the rays. I don't know how they stand the heat here in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google is driving everyone crazy. They’ve improved it, which means nothing is working properly.

      Delete
    2. They just imposed some new abomination for Google Drive. Don't ask me what it is, because their description of the change may as well have been written in Sanskrit as far as I'm concerned. I only know that I'll hate it.

      Delete
    3. And I thought it was just me! I made a comment the other day, and my comment was printed twice.

      Delete
    4. I agree. I left double comments a couple of times, but worse still comments left on our blog have been going to spam. I have to remember to keep checking.

      Delete
  3. Cats are lucky they don't suffer from hot flashes, hence the ability to enjoy those sunbeams, regardless of gender. :-)

    I hope there will be many sunny days this summer for Hector (and everyone else) to enjoy.

    How is Renn doing now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. During the summer, when my all-black "outside cat" goes in the sun, his fur can be actually hot to the touch. Curiously, it doesn't seem to bother him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing that our dark furred cats will soak up the heat and sun like a sponge. While I'm looking for the cold tea and a fan at the least. Hector knows how to really stretch out there at the doorway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go Hector! You deserve some time relaxing in the sun. After all, annoying your older siblings is hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sun sure does feel good on the furs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sun never seems to be too hot for them. Even on the hottest days (mid 70s for us) Flynn would still sleep in the greenhouse. Eric had more sense and would find shade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always have said the beautiful color Katie displays in the sunlight is her cnnamon colored underwear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom bean laughs at me when I climb under the towel on the chair in the sunny room. Sometimes a kitty just can't get enough heat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Us 6 meezer Angels were sun worshipers, too!
    Even the pups enjoy it. Though after a while they will seek shady places.

    ReplyDelete