Thursday, June 22, 2023

Neville's Last Journey

It turns out that Neville does not have a simple infection. He has, in fact, oral squamous cell carcinoma. He has cancer. The veterinary didn’t give an estimate of how long the Nevsky has to live – there are too many factors – though my reading suggests no more than three months. That, I suspect, assumes that the cat’s quality of life continues adequate until the cancer overwhelms him. In truth, I will probably say good-bye to Neville before then; it will depend on such indications as appetite, weight and level of comfort.

The doctor thinks that Neville is in a small amount of pain now, so a daily pain-killer has been prescribed. It is in liquid form and of a minimal dosage, so he should receive it without a great deal of anxiety, especially as he will now no longer be required to take any of the dreaded anti-biotics. I have usually been able to read the Former Thin Man well, so I will keep him under close observation.

Neville is eating well, as readers may know, and his litter-box visits are without incident, though the anti-biotics he had been receiving softened his feces tremendously lately. The cancer’s first sign was probably the ineffectiveness of the insulin I was giving Neville. I will continue to inject him with that, as without it, he might feel worse.

Neville’s life has not been an easy one, with too many hospital visits and too much medicine. I hope his last weeks or months will be gentler for him, and that he experiences as little trouble as possible until the day he leaves on his last journey.

16 comments:

  1. I sure hate hearing that news, it sure is sad for that sweet guy. Love, hugs and prayers from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry, I know you will fill the remaining days with love and joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the worst news and certainly not what I had expected. I'm sending Neville Light and Love, praying that he does not suffer any further and that when it's time, he passes gently and peacefully. 🙏❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this news. It certainly wasn't what any of us were expecting. But I know that you will give Neville all the love and care he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not news l wanted to wake up to....
    I took to Neville the first time l saw him, you
    were fostering him at the time, l hoped in my
    own selfish way....that he'd stay,..and he did..!

    God bless the little fella, hopefully he'll be pain
    free over the next few weeks/months...
    A little kiss/pat on his little head please John....!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear this sad news. I know you will fill his days with love and care until the time comes to say goodbye. You bring the character of all your cats to life through the blog and we all become attached to them. I have quite the lump in my throat reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Neville, sorry that the vet didn't have better news for you my friend. We know that you are in safe hands at the cosy apartment and loved by us all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so terrible for Neville AND you. That poor boy. At least he has someone who'll make his last months--however many they may be--as happy as possible. I'll be keeping Neville in my prayers to St. Francis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dood…we R troo lee sorree de nastee C haz paid ewe a vizit. while we iz knot a round two say HI much any mor, pleez noe that two day, and everee day, we sendz hugz N lovez. we haz asked R heer roe St Francis two stay by yur side.💚💚💚💚

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such sad news. I am so sorry. I pray he will enjoy what is left of his life. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Nev and you. Cancer is such an awful disease for humans and our pets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very sad to read this diagnosis, for Nevsky truely deserves a break.
    May his remaining time be full of love, with minimal pain and discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are sorry to read this. We know you will do everything you can to assure his quality of life is the best possible for as long as possible, and we are sure he will let you know when he feels it is time Purrs and purrayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no, oh no. I was worried when you mentioned Nev needing to see the vet again as the anti-biotics weren't doing the job and I was afraid of something like this. I know you'll make his final days as peaceful and pain free as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, we are so sad to read this. Thank you for loving him and taking such good care of him, John. Sending you both love and gentle purrs that the time you have left together is peaceful and pain-free . XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am deeply saddened to hear this news. I know there is nothing to be said that can change course or help ease your pain, but we do send purrs and prayers and may the coming days and weeks be kind, and have wonderful memories to keep in your heart forever.((Neville))

    ReplyDelete