Friday, June 23, 2023

A Final Time in Idylland

My holidays are now over, and I must bid Idylland good-bye for another year. The time off from work was mostly good, mostly enjoyable. I accomplished a great deal, cleaning the cat-trees, roping those that needed repairing, cleaning parts of the apartment that required more detailed or strenuous cleaning than I could give them during ordinary times. I also started a new project that I hope will come to fruition before the end of the year.

But, as readers know, the holidays were darkened by the shadow of Neville’s diagnosis. Now we know his condition. There will be no more visits to the hospital – except the final one – no more tests, no more anti-biotics. Nev is receiving his pain-killer, which he hates to be given as much as any medicine, and his insulin, which he doesn’t mind. Other than that, he is provided with that which he most craves: to be left to his own devices. He is enjoying his meals – while I was preparing dinner today, I could hear him, calling from the library, wondering where his food was – sleeping in the sun and, now and then, asking for chin-rubs.

Even so, Idylland was good to me, and I am grateful for the chance to visit. And I was glad to be able to bring my friend Neville one last time.


10 comments:

  1. It seems that your holiday was bittersweet. While you enjoyed your time off from work, Neville's diagnosis was something unexpected. But the important thing is that Neville will receive the love and care he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you were able to enjoy your time in Idylland though the time seems to go quickly. Neville's diagnosis is a huge sadness, but he will receive palliative care for as long as he needs it which is all any of us can hope for if the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you had a mostly enjoyable holiday. "Bittersweet" is the appropriate word, I should think. I hope your return to work on Monday goes well. Prayers and Light to Neville. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you both John...God bless
    you both...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad Neville in articular got to be with you much longer comforting time than usual, because you were all in Idylland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fortunate you had this long time off and were able to have Nev diagnosed. I am so sorry he has cancer. What a sad end for him. I know you will be so watchful of him for weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rarely use my vacation time to do chores.
    Then again, I ignore the chores every other time too!
    If your vacation could be classified as peaceful, then we are glad to read that you'd achieved the quietude.
    Purring for Nevsky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is terribly sad to think that this may be Neville's last vacation time with you, but he will be going to a place where it is always Idylland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know bittersweet is such a difficult term to use when you are sharing how your holiday was spent. But bittersweet it was, and I am so sorry that the circumstances are what they are. Deep purrs.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had a enjoyable time during your time off work. It is truly sad that Neville won't be with you next year, however, I'm sure it is a relief to know what is happening.
    I realized last night, that Silas was diagnosed in the fall and he survived far longer than the vet originally thought, passing away the following spring. I do hope you get more time with Neville.

    ReplyDelete