Thursday, December 10, 2015

An Inspector Calls

My title refers not to the Priestley play, nor to the 1954 film adaptation starring the incomparable Alastair Sim. Indeed, there no indication meant of any sort of police officer. No, the reference is instead to a building inspector. I don’t know what he looks like, so he could very well resemble Sim.


I received an offer on my house earlier in the week. The offer is conditional upon a building inspection being made. I expected one to be conducted, so this did not perturb me. The examination was completed yesterday. It took two hours and, since it ended late in the afternoon (at five o’clock), I was not apprised of the results at the time. I still have not. I was told that the news would come in ‘the next few days’. I will call my realtor and inquire this afternoon.

Needless to say, I am anxious concerning the outcome. An inspection was completed when I moved into the house five years ago and though nothing disastrous has occurred in the interval, there is the chance that something may have happened unnoticed that will derange the deal. If there is nothing major, however, I and the cats will be leaving this house within the month.


Where, you may be wondering, did the beasts go while the inspector was poking and prodding my property? I didn’t want to leave them in the house. This would not be a visit like a realtor conducting a potential buyer through the rooms. Nor would it be similar to an open house. The inspector would be leaving doors open everywhere and I did not feel that it was wise possibly to antagonise him by leaving notes about putting the onus of my pets’ safety on him. Mainly, I was worried about the cats.

In anticipation of selling the house, I had already rented an apartment. I can afford to do this only for a month, but I believe it is worth it. As I may have written in this blog previously, the chances of finding a truly pet-friendly rented residence in my town are slender. Those landlords who call themselves pet-friendly actually fine pet-owners at least $250 per pet. I did not want to give up $1,000 to greed. Besides, the apartment I chose is comfortable, safe and conveniently located.

Anyway, it is empty but available. So the cats stayed there for several hours yesterday afternoon, accompanied by a friend from the rescue-group to which I belong. This allowed the inspection to be completed on time and without interference - and without worry on my part. At least not worry about the cats.


So now I wait for the word on the inspection. If it is satisfactory, then plans will be laid for my move. It will make for a hectic Christmas season, to which I do not look forward with relish. But once the beasts and I are settled in our new home, a new year will have begun, and, hopefully, a better one than that which has passed.

12 comments:

  1. good luck and paws crossed!!

    (mom says thanks for the comment today....it meant a lot to her)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything works out John. Sending lots of good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. guys...pleez ta tell yur dad we haz ee ess pea... N we say de inspectshunz wented well, de houz iz sold, & Merry Christmas two yur dad as him takes de chex two de bank...

    we iz glad ya had a place ta chillax while Sim visited !! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers and paws crossed that all goes through, no hitches. I hope you manage stress better than my mom! :-)

    I'm still sorry you've had to give up your house; I'd give a lot to be able to manage the mortgage, etc. on a single detached home with space between me and any neighbours.

    Purrs and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is good news. I am sure the inspector will find your house in excellent condition and the buyers will go through with the sale. Your house does look lovely. I wish you and the cats a safe and comfortable move to your new home. Will you at least have one more Christmas in your house? From Eileen and Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably not complete any move I make before Christmas, so one more in the old house, I think.

      Delete
  6. We hope things move smoothly for you John. At least if this all goes ahead you can all stay together and have a roof over your heads.

    Julie and Poppy Q

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our prayers remain with you all.
    Maybe you could move your bedroom and cats into the new place so the chaos of disarangeing, packing and cleaning won't disturb/upset them and you'll have a comfortable place to come home to after working. You can drop the heat way down in the house and save $£¥.
    Do you have a copy of the building inspectors report from when you perchased your home? When I went to sell, the inspector found a whole litany of violations that were not on my purchase inspection report. And these were things that could not just have happened over time. I confronted the agency and the man said that certain inspectors are more nit-picky than others and took many things off the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where I will be living is too far from where I live to go back and forth while packing everything up. I intend to move in small portions until the big moving day, which I hope to arrange some time in the first week of January.

      I can report now the inspection was satisfactory and nothing untoward was found. As always, thank you for your thoughts. Onward and upward!

      Delete
    2. Answered prayers,so far. Wonderful news! Hopefully your buyers were pre-qualified. Forward momentum only!

      Delete
  8. I hope all went well with the inspection and the sale goes through without any hitches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very stressful waiting for Real Estate to settle with all the bits, checks and going on's. We see the next post so hope things were all alright.
    Purrs from all of us fur the holidays
    Timmy, Dad and Furs

    ReplyDelete