Thursday, April 2, 2020

A Return to Medicineland

Cammie’s adventures in Medicineland continued yesterday. I felt I had no choice but to take her to the veterinary hospital. Tuesday night, she seemed in discomfort, and around her mouth was crusted discharge, likely to be bits of unswallowed food. In any case, it was unprecedented for the princess, and I thought it best to have her seen by professionals, especially before the weekend.

I dropped her off early and picked her up later in the day. In between, Cammie was examined physically and had her urine tested. I chose not to have her blood tested; that had been done in late summer, and the doctor felt that her problems probably stemmed from worsening kidneys. This is the case.


Cammie is now in stage three kidney failure. Though her creatinine is at an acceptable level, her urea has been increasing and seeping into her joints. She has, in effect, gout. This has been causing pain for her, especially when she moves. The doctor told me that it could even have ben affecting the gums, which might go some way to explain why Cammie looked as if she were having trouble chewing even soft food, and why she didn’t want to eat.

My Siamese girl was given sub-cutaneous fluids, to help flush out the urea, and relieve the pain. The level of her benazepril dosage, taken for her blood-pressure, will be re-assessed. For the moment, Cammie is in better shape than she was earlier this week.


I must learn how to give sub-cutaneous fluids, and to do it by myself. I feel that Cammie would be cooperative enough for me to achieve it; the actual mechanics of the process elude me. For that, I will have to watch some videos. It would, of course, be much easier with a second person, but that isn’t always feasible, and certainly isn’t in the current global situation. But such fluids are the best way to ease my cat’s discomfort.

The doctor stated that examining Cammie was a little difficult. Cammie was angry at the staff of the hospital. In other words, my princess gave them what-for. That’s my girl. But she was undoubtedly frightened and confused. It’s bad enough for a sighted cat to endure such a day, but for a blind one, it must have been terrifying. She was quite agitated when she was returned to me, but in the taxi-ride home, I spoke to her and touched her through the bars of the carrier’s door. She continually rubbed her face against my fingers, and was calm by the time we walked through our front door. She ate later and, so far as I could determine, had a restful night.

Once again, then, we have a plan, a route mapped out for my girl through Medicineland. It’s up to me now to provide her with the tools to navigate her way, so that the path to her last years is easy and smooth.

14 comments:

  1. Poor baby, she's been through so much. I can't offer anything but our purrs and prayers, and she has those in abundance. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a lot of folks who've done the sub-q routine, and they found a rhythm it doing it quickly, and I know you will too. Extra smooches and chin scritches to your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry she now has this, on top of her earlier troubles. At least you now know what's wrong with her, and can do something to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Cammie, she has been through so much. I'm sure you'll learn to do the routine for her sake. The kitties send their purrs, and I, positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry her kidney disease is at stage 3, but I am confident you can give her the fluids that can extend her life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure hope that sweet girl feels better. You can do the sub-q fluids, the Dad here gives them to me 1-2 times a week. He learned from youtube videos too and I don't fuss at all when he does it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Cammie. Even though giving sub-q fluids seems daunting at first, once you get the hang of it, It's really not that difficult. I've had to give fluids to 3 cats over the years, and Jessica currently gets fluids twice a week. I find giving fluids to a cat is easier than giving insulin or testing blood sugars. I recommend that you have one of the vet techs at your vet's office show you how to do it, and then you can find your own rhythm as Eastside Cats correctly stated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, no veterinary hospital is doing anything but urgent cases. Cammie's was considered urgent yesterday. As well, no one who doesn't work there is allowed in any veterinary facility right now. These days are strange indeed.

      Delete
  8. I had to do it for my old girl puss for the last few months of her life. I am sure you will be fine. This video is a good one explaining it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M9TPhIaszk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I will be looking at this video closely on the weekend.

      Delete
  9. Poor Cammie, but I know you will give her the very best care possible. You have overcome so many hurdles that I am sure you will soon be confident in giving her the sub Q fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry that Cammie is having to go through all of this and that you are as well. It is very stressful for we pet parents when our small ones are sick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure as the good doctor/dad you are, you will go the fluids fine
    once you get comfortable with the idea and seeing how by yourself.
    Poor Cammie, what a year she is having. I wish you both better days
    ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This young lady has had a difficult path but we are sure you will continue to help her stay feeling as best she can. Giving Sub-Q is not that difficult and you will have it aced after a few tries. The key is to keep the fluid warm so not so give her a cold feeling. This allows an easier path. Wish you all well

    ReplyDelete