Sunday, April 26, 2020

Let's Be Friends


Raleigh’s campaign for friendship with the other beasts is not limited to one target. This evening, he tried his peachy charm on Cammie. He sometimes will lie close to her bed, but this is the first time I have observed him between the princess and her water-bowl. Cammie knew he was there, and hissed several times. Raleigh didn’t move, and I spoke to them, trying to keep Raleigh there while calming Cammie. To my surprise, the latter didn’t move away in a huff, but contented herself with growling deep in her throat like Nick Nolte, and revolving on her cushion so she need not be so close to the intruder. But she didn’t leave.


I don’t believe that Raleigh thinks he will win every feline heart. I think it is simply that he cannot imagine anyone taking offence at his presence. He will walk in front of other cats, step over them if they are lying down, and put his nose into a food-bowl, to see if they’d like to share. There is no challenge in these actions, no daring; just an obliviousness to any annoyance he might be causing. It’s difficult not to sympathise with such innocence.

13 comments:

  1. That dear boy tugs at my heart strings! He really does want to be with the others so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely..really lovely..
    Be interesting to see what they get
    up to when your not there John..do
    you a policeman perhaps that could
    loan you a surveillance camera...! :).
    Now! That would be interesting..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Raleigh. He makes my heart ache a bit, every time you write about him. Give him a scritch from me, tell him what a love he is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up, Raleigh! I think you've begun to wear them all down...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep trying, Raleigh! "If at first you don't succeed..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how anyone, feline or otherwise, could resist his charms. I hope at least one of the others will become his friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We hope he finds a snuggle buddy amongst your crew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just yesterday, I let Ollie outside while I was bringing in groceries. He was a stray so I don’t worry about him running away. Well, I forgot he was still outside when I closed up. About an hour later I realized it and looked outside. Imagine my happy surprise to see him in a covered cat bed on my porch snuggled up to Mica, a semi feral I take care of. They were both snoozing away. Finally, Ollie has someone to snuggle with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious. Everyone's cats seem to find friends except mine!

      Delete
  9. Poor Raleigh, he sure would like a friend. I'm impressed that Cammie didn't walk away and allowed him to be near by. Who knows this might be the start of tolerance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We do hope that one or the other start to warm and give him what he would like. We have the standoffs here. Some quiet with looks and others with blow ups. Our Timmy soldiers on being friend to all

    ReplyDelete