Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Lucky Fellow

It took a while but Portia stayed with me for much of movie night this past Saturday. She lie on my lap purring and receiving pets, alternating with brushing, for about twenty minutes. Then she curled up, closed her eyes and eventually fell asleep. This was the first time she has slept on my lap.


She snoozed for another twenty minutes or so, before waking, stretching and leaving. Portia has a ways to go with her sociability; it’s not that she isn’t social, but she could be friendlier. She may never be, or it may be a matter of time. She can be especially contentious in the mornings.


But she has shown me that she trusts me enough to sleep on my lap, to be completely at my mercy, completely defenceless. Instead of being alert and watchful, Po preferred sleep. I am a lucky man to be so trusted.


18 comments:

  1. That's really so super sweet and such a good girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, John! Yes, you're lucky indeed...as is she. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a reward when a cat feels safe with us. She sure is a sweetheart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for Portia. Having to give up her home and her people was obviously quite a wrench. It's so good to hear she's beginning to feel comfortable in her new life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. portia, in my 18 years I have trusted the number of people I can count on one paw and the only one that you really need to trust always will be dad and sure it might take a bit because sometimes it took me a bit to trust my dad but eventually i trusted him completely but frankly don't remember how many years it took though it seems it took some years with my mom too and then I trusted the food gurl when she visited even though like on SUNday when she was here I told the food gurl she was not worthy of my attention at the time so I went in the other room and took a nap in my perch with hugs from dai$y queen of the run on sentence =^..*= ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ve earned your title in that response, Daisy! But seriously, Portia was miffed at me last night, just as you were at the Food Service Girl. I had to speak to her about whapping the boys as they tried to get past her, and she took umbrage with that, I suspect. I also didn’t have time to sit with her last evening, though I spent time with her after dinner. That of course isn’t the same, so I was in the doghouse.

      Delete
  6. Portia has come so far in the short time she's been with you. The frightened cat that came to you is now a trusting sweetheart. You've done a fantastic job with her, John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful movie night for you both. Must have picked to right
    movie for Portia to snooze through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sleep is the ultimate sign of trust as you did already know. Hooray! Even if she was miffed with you earlier, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Portia is a very lucky girl to have found her way to you too. The feelings are obviously mutual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's an honor when they do that. Katie too...if she is asleep and I lean to kiss her..she never slits an eye...says anything...just snoozes on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, that is so sweet. You and Portia are both lucky, we'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is lovely to see her so accepting of you.

    ReplyDelete