Sunday, August 22, 2021

The Good Saturday

Most weekends are good because I don’t have to work. Some, however, are better than others. Saturdays themselves are the better half of weekends, and while all Saturdays are enjoyable, some are more so, for different reasons. This past Saturday was a very good one.

It rained all day. It has been very dry here, and we need moisture, even though it is quite late in the agricultural season. The smoke that has hung beneath the clouds due to the forest fires in other regions has been washed away; I had nowhere pressing to go, so I spent most of the day indoors, grateful for the fresh scents and cooler temperatures that came with the rain.

But something less meteorological made the day a good one. Each of the beasts I live with contributed its share. Tucker and I spend much time together. He tends to stay in the same room as I, sitting at the dining table, hoping for a bit of human food, then following me into the sitting room or bedroom. We play and talk. He ate a very good amount of food, and was a happy fellow.

Portia saw me enter the library during the afternoon and hurried after me, leaping up on the ottoman there. She wanted to lie on my lap. So I sat down and was pinned in place for about twenty-five minutes, while Po purred in reaction to being petted and brushed. I had things to do, but this was better.

I had to shave more mats from Neville’s fur. He dislikes it but puts up with it. He hates being gathered up and taken to the bathroom, and he hates the detailed attention I give his hair. I cut off all the mats I could find and let him go. An hour later, I sat on the couch for a few minutes; the Nevsky got up from his cat-bed and jumped up on the couch and settled on my lap, which he hasn’t done in weeks. I rubbed his face, his cheeks and his chin; he purred and drooled. We sat there so long – more than half an hour – that I missed the beginning of my usual Saturday evening radio programme. But I didn't mind.

Come bath-time – a greater pleasure in itself this weekend as the temperature made a hot bath enjoyable, as opposed to the merely adequate warm baths taken during torid weather – and Renn came to wait with me while the tub filled. His forefeet curled into little fists as he lie on the bathmat and listened to me discourse about various things. My big boy loves bath-time, and I draw the bath much more slowly than I could otherwise, to give us time together.

The movie afterward was entertaining, which added to the evening. But I had company. First Renn curled up beside me for an hour. When he left during the intermission, his place was taken by Portia, who lie on my lap for the remainder of the show. Afterward, there was time enough for a snack for the beasts, and so to bed.

This was my good Saturday. It doesn’t take much these days to make a good day. Four cats usually suffice.

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, and what a terrific Saturday. It sounds like the cats enjoyed it as much as you did. But I must disagree with the title of the post. I think your Saturday was more than just "good."




    '

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all sounds like a most wonderful day for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So..A great day all round John..
    Hope you managed some dinner in
    between times..! :).

    And! Church yesterday..? :O).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you and the cats had a wonderful Saturday.
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. My birthday is 19 days after Ivor's, so now we are the same age again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Saturday was much more relaxing than ours:)
    Glad each kitty got undivided attention, but they are not the only benefactors of that time, you are blessed by it too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like that break in weather gave all of you of reprieve from everything. Everybody was relaxed and willing to spend their time with you on Saturday. It was like a day at a special Resort oh, so glad you could enjoy it so thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely day you all had together, a precious memory to tuck away in your heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an enjoyable day! One on one with each cat makes it so special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kea said it so well for me as well. A lovely day that all of you had together making this Saturday spent, one of contentment, peace and love. When it happens here, that type of day stays with me for a very long time. It feeds the inner me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know in the past weekends have often been hectic with one cat emergency or another, so it's good to hear all of you in the Apartment had a relaxing and enjoyable Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. guyz....now thiz iz what we call total lee awesum lee epic lee mega kewl .....heerz hopin for even MOR caturdayz like thiz for all ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Time spent with cats is never wasted."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apparently, a good time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a really excellent day well spent. The chores go on but when a fine cat leaps up and you both have time together that is inked the book of life's pleasures

    ReplyDelete
  15. With only two cats, and only one that likes lap time I don't get pinned as frequently. But I sure enjoy the time when I do. It's wonderful that Portia has settled in so well and appreciates your time and patience.

    ReplyDelete