Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Whither Do You Wander?

Each morning and early evening, the community cats outside my work-place gather for meals. There are usually six to nine of them, all of them neutered and spayed now, and familiar faces. But some whom I caught and had fixed show up no more. Then again, there are those who vanish for long periods and then re-appear.


This is Auvergne, easily recognized by his distinctive moustache. According to my blog, he was neutered at about a year of age, in September, 2018. I would see him periodically thereafter, though have not for at least a year now. But I saw him again yesterday. Though I was not able to take a picture of him (thus the photos from when he was captured), he looked good, slender but not gaunt, with a smooth coat and no noticeable injuries.




Where had he been all this time? Had he journeyed to the far end of town, found a better source of food and stayed? Was he taken in by a kind human? Did he fall in with another colony? And if any of these, why did he come back to his old stamping grounds?


Feral cats seem to do this all the time. I have not seen Sable for many months. She would come quite often to my apartment for food, though she seemed not to need it from me. She had a habit of disappearing for the summertime, so I hope that she is safe and unharmed, and will let me know come the autumn. I am more worried about Arliss. He too has been missing for a long time, and has not Sable’s history of vanishing for a time, only to come back.


I don’t have any regular outsider-cats now, except a tiny grey girl called Ninja. She, however, has a home and visits to eat my food, in addition to her own. Other cats have been seen and, I think, have stopped in for a meal at Café Cosy now and then. But for quite a while, my customers have been principally birds.

15 comments:

  1. If only he could talk to us in a language we could understand and tell us what he's been up to! I'm glad you saw him, though, and that he looks reasonably good. His life (and all their lives) would be so much harder, and shorter, without the efforts of you and others to capture and neuter. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the wandering away always makes us wonder. One of our ferals was gone for almost 2 years and now she is a regular visitor again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Hobo stopped coming 'round years ago, I went into the 'hood, looking for him! I finally tracked down one of his other families, who'd been feeding him for years, like us.
    See Hobo in this guy's yard made me happy, then sorta jealous!
    Despite that, it was good to know he was still being fed.
    Angel Hobo was our first alley cat/feral, and he never allowed me to touch him, even to pull a handful of burrs from his back.
    P.S. Your kind thoughts for The PO'M meant a lot to me; thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have cats around here that I do not know if they have homes or not.
    So when I see them, I'm glad they are well, and I do miss them when
    I've not seen any one for a while. Difficult not to care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CATFATHER; WHAT DE SAM HELL ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    my customers have been principally birds.

    ;) ♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the regulars don't show up, we have to accept what customers come. At least they provide entertainment for the more discerning crowd...

      Delete
  6. We have a colony of ferals that live in the woods near my apartment complex, and if I don't see them for a while, I always worry if they are all right. They are cared for by dedicated volunteers who come twice a day to check on them and bring them food and water. These volunteers do an amazing job and have my utmost respect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Auvergne! I thought he was adorable looking. I’m glad to hear he’s OK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your 'lost', gone astray kitty (Punny, I am...) has returned. Hope he is fine, but so far things seem to be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember him as well. What a relief to know when they are well and still with us after a long time. I had the experience but not of this length of time, recently. I didn't see one who as being cared for...at least fed, a few doors up the street. I worried for some time until I saw her again, several months later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is interesting how the ferals do that and we wish them all well as they roam. Our own Feral Fanny has been missing most of the summer and then stopped back to eat at the dish that is kept in the cat room and only accessed by a flap to the side of the house. May they all be healthy and happy in their choices

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lives that feral cats live are so unpredictable. If people took care of their cats, it wouldn't have to be this way. I'm thankful for the work you do to take care of the ones you see, as best you can. Hopefully Arliss shows up again as Auvergne did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad Auvergne has reappeared and is looking well.
    I just noticed Douglas Furrbanks has gone from your sidebar.(I have been mostly offline for two weeks so may have missed when he went.) Every time I saw him there I felt sad that he was still waiting for his forever home. I hope this means he has found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Douglas is still waiting for his home. I try to vary the potential adoptees so no one becomes inured to them. Riley is another deserving fellow.

      Delete