Friday, September 24, 2021

House Panther Memories

Someone asked me if Hector was the first black cat of whom I had taken care. I had to think for a moment, but the answer is ‘no’.


Lincoln was my first foster-cat, taken in even before I had my blog - just before, I think - in the middle of 2010. He was a good-natured fellow. I recorded in a later blog entry that he talked a great deal, and wailed, probably not unlike Hector. It occurs to me now that, like Hec, he was worried and scared, and trying to call anyone or anything with which he was familiar. I didn’t have the experience with cats then to recognise this. Fortunately, Lincoln was with me but a short time before he was adopted, so the real transition he had to undergo would have been into his permanent home, hopefully his last great change. These two pictures are of my first house panther.




His successor as black-foster-cat, after a very long interval, is doing well. Hector is leaving the library more often now during the day, not just at night, and is quiet in the dark, which usually means he’s up to something, like opening the cupboard under the bathroom basin and using my spare toilet paper as scratching pads... But each day brings improvements - or at least something new - and I have high hopes for a full and successful integration.


12 comments:

  1. Handsome Hector, awaiting on his throne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's integrating well into the Cozy apartment. I think he might want to stay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He still finds that bathroom cupboard irresistible, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Sweetie just awoke from deep sleep in her heated bed, yowled at the top of her voice for a minute, then snuggled down again to sleep.
    She does this every day; not sure if she just wants to hear me tell her everything is okay, or if she's calling to the mothership...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like her version of that weird bleating that Tucker gives now and then. It could be anything; in Sweetie’s case, it may be just her joy at having a loving and safe home. Then again, it may be like my Tungsten: she would wake from sleeping and meow repeatedly. I would come to tell her everything was all right, and she'd purr.

      Delete
  5. It looks like the Cosy Apartment may have a new permanent resident, (at least if Hector has his way!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My beloved black cat Blackie was a Manx and much beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black cats look so regal. My neighbours cat, Luna, visits periodically in the morning. I give her a little bit of kibble and some pets and off she goes on her walkabout! TomTom is inside and upset that she is outside and he can not. He's getting better about being an inside cat but when I'm outside working on my flower beds, TomTom is watching me intently. I miss him being outside with me. We tried the harness but he freaked out too much with it on. Next summer I'm looking into getting a screened gazebo so he can be outdoors. We shall see how that goes!
    I'm so happy Hec is exploring more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks totally relaxed in that second photo and we hope that reflects the lessening of his inner turmoil. When he is ready for a real forever home we think he will take it in stride. Thanks for the great work helping the lost find a calm center once again

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work at rehab and rehoming all those kitties, if that would happen, is invaluable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete