Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Nothing Untoward

Someone reminded me that it has been a week now since I’ve written anything about the beasts in the Cosy Apartment. That’s because nothing untoward has occurred to them. Nor have they done anything of the sort to me. In other words, there has been nothing about which to write.


However, the absence of events can itself be news. As with many pet-owners, the smallest of changes in one of the cats will start me worrying about what might be going on. Renn went through a period when even his minimal appetite was lessened, and I thought that his loss of hunger meant something sinister. He has started eating again, as much as he ever eats, and I am feeding him at less regular hours, or, rather, making food available to him at irregular hours. As well, I am catering to the innate laziness that exists in all my cats. One of his favourite resorts is my bed, so I will place a dish of soft-food on the bedspread. He will sleep or rest for an hour or more, then rouse himself, walk the half-foot to the food and eat it. My big boy will still participate half the time during the normal service of meals, but if, as he ages, his appetite finds the clock inconvenient, I will accommodate its opinion.



Tucker, too, gave me some cause for concern. He had been regurgitating his food early in the mornings, soon after I gave him his kidney-powder (mixed in a syringe of Recovery.) I worried that because it was a new bottle of powder that it might be tainted. But the roly poly has always been a spare eater at breakfast, probably because he has a history of throwing up then, and didn’t want to do that. I switched the times when I gave him his powder, and he no longer pukes it back up. He will still return his breakfast now and then, but the kidney-powder is not the cause of such resurgence.



As for the other two, I actually saw Portia and Neville chasing each other one evening. Usually, Round Po pursues the Nevsky. (Indeed, she will chase anyone she thinks will make a good victim; she seems to see that quality in poor Renn.) But at one point, Nev stopped; Portia too halted and, when Neville made a sudden movement, rushed away. Technically, Nev didn’t chase Portia, but the latter thought he was, or would. Though Neville will think he must sneak by Po, my girl doesn’t follow him all the time, and there is clearly no animosity when she does. She will sometimes reach out and whap him, or someone else who is near (including me), but I suspect she is just showing her superiority in the household by doing so. That, we can live with.




Life goes on, then, and remains interesting in its own way, but the news from the Cosy Apartment is neither startling nor alarming. My cats and I are preparing for the chillier months, and hope that any reports that we need to pass on will be as gentle as the autumn.

17 comments:

  1. I'm old enough to have learned that "boring" can be a very welcome thing, considering the alternatives. It's good to hear the Cosy Apartment is enjoying some calm waters.

    That picture of Neville is particularly beautiful, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad that things are calm and quiet at the Cosy Apartment! Usually every long weekend something is amiss at your end, not mine. LOL. Anyway, let's hope that "uninteresting" continues for you, and returns for me and for Derry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice respite of normal is always good for the human. Glad all 4
    cats seem to be in a quiet holding pattern and let's hope it is long
    lived. I believe that Portia just wants to make sure the male population
    in the Cosy Apartment know she is top girl. Here Precious has come out from under the bed during the day naps and again sleeping in her bed tent. I guess it has cooled enough that the self made heat is not a problem. I am not a Fall kind of person, as it leads to Winter, and I am not a Winter person of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. guyz....sum times noe nooze iz good nooze and good nooze sum timez haz funkee nooze but all thiz nooze iz better N crap pee nooze sew we will take thiz nooze and N joy de reedin oh it; long with yur fotoz :) ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the saying goes: No news is good news!!
    Or in your case...No mews are good mews. LOL!

    Its great to have a period of non-issues. Hope it lasts a long while. Enjoy the wonderful days of September.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh...it sounds like all is well at the Cosy Apartment, and that's certainly good news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad all is well. I know what you mean about worrying when a cat acts differently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're thinking quiet and boring are just synonyms for good and well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No! Peace for the wicked eh! John..
    HeHe! But! Who'd live without it..! :)
    Bless!
    And Neville looks lovelier every time
    l see him/..What a poser..! Bless!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is good that all the Beasts in the Cozy Apartment and its Master, are in a period of calm seas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear all is well at the cosy apt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice to hear that things and cats are doing well in your cozy home :)
    Purrs that will be the norm now.
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quiet and peaceful, like an soft late-summer's breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As is said "no news is good news" so cheers for all at the quiet cozy apartment. At our house we too go through small cycles that seem to reside in larger ones and on and on. We think that it is innate in any who have pets who they truly love and care about. It is our part and parcel

    ReplyDelete