Thursday, November 25, 2021

Someone Else's Portia

I actually didn’t think this day would come: Portia is going on a trial-adoption. She leaves Saturday morning.


As readers may have gathered, Po is a cat who would have to have a rather specific family, if she were to leave the Cosy Apartment. She is a calico, has a strong personality, knows what she wants when she wants it, what she doesn’t want, and will not be gainsaid. She has come a long way since the stand-offish girlcat of early May. But with every change, it has been what she has wanted that counted; I may have offered, but she had to accept. Under such conditions, one can imagine the narrow parameters of possible homes for her.


But one fitting very well those conditions has been opened to her. It is undoubtedly Portia’s best chance of her own home. A single lady, mature, retired, with her own house and no other pets, saw Portia advertised. The lady is experienced not only with cats, but with calicos; her last cat died some months ago at twenty. There could be no better opportunity for Po.


I believe portly Po is satisfied living with me. But this is her chance to be happy. She will have one person to herself, without other animals to annoy her or distract the human. If my foster-cat made progress with me, then she should do immeasurably better in this new environment.


Of course, the reality may be different. Portia may simply refuse to adjust. But I don’t think she will. I believe she will be enticed by her new world and find favour with it. I hope so; she deserves such a world. If things go wrong, she will always have a place in the Cosy Apartment.


The trial will last three weeks. Nobody expects Po to become completely adapted to her new house and new human in that time; her prospective adopter knows that winning Portia over will take much more time. But we will know if the hefty calico has set her paws on her new path by then. And who knows? A new house, a new human, no other cats, may all aid her in making a rapid adjustment. The pleasing thing about winning over cats who are slow to trust is that once they trust one person, they are often open to trusting others. That has been seen in our rescue-group’s foster-homes numerous times.


So join me, if you will, in wishing my Portia the best of luck, so that soon she will decide that it is good and proper that she be someone else’s Portia.




17 comments:

  1. We wish you all the best dear girl and I hope you're happy home is truly a happy and loving one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely wish Portia and her new possible "mom bean" all the best in the transition. I have a notion you are correct that she may settle in well, without other cats to deal with and all the love and attention she wants and needs.

    I'm sure you'll find the apartment a little more empty, but Hector will likely find a way to make more noise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, wish Portia the very best and hope that this truly will be her forever home. Derry and I will keep our fingers and paws crossed for her, and as you wrote, she always will have a home with you if this doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purring really, really hard for Portia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thing to be grateful for on this American Thanksgiving Day. :)

    I'm hoping all works well, and Portia finds much happiness with her new person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Portia we will definitely miss you but we revel in the prospects of you in a home that is yours and we hope this is the right fit but if not you always have a place to come back to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear that Portia may have found her "fur-ever" home. You did an amazing job of gaining her trust, John. From what you wrote, it sounds like the new home may be an ideal situation for her. But I confess that I'm going to miss reading about her on your blog. All the best to you in your new home, Portia!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck sweet girl. We hope this kind lady is charmed by you and you find your furrever home with her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Portia, pack your bags and have great anticipation come Satureday morning. We have our fingers and paws crossed for an easy new life. With no man cats to share with and a loving lap yours and yours alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Portia, I wish you the happiest of days, homes and joy with and for your new mama! What a lovely thing to read. God Bless, sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although I will miss Portia this does sound like an ideal home for her, and I hope everything works out well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are purring and praying super hard for you, Portia! Wishing you love and happiness in your new home. XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that l've wiped a little tear away..
    I'll leave a comment..
    Good luck Portia in your new home and
    new human..have a fun time and a happy
    life, God bless sweet young lady..!X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like the perfect fit!
    Enjoy your new home and cat mom, Portia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Years ago I adopted the only calico in a shelter and she was "unadoptable and mean." She had been around the shelter for sometime after they had finally managed to trap her and bring her inside. The staff still refers to me - many years later as " the one who adopted Clover !" So we send all the best purrs and purrayers to Portia and her "wanna be" new human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I detest it when shelters label cats adversely. Do they think they are helping the situation? Thank goodness you came to rescue Clover from her rescuers!

      Delete
  16. Oh, I sure hope this will be *The Place* for Portia!

    ReplyDelete