Monday, November 1, 2021

Upset on the Weekend

Saturday, my big boy, Renn, started throwing up. He couldn’t keep anything down, and eventually refused food, either because he was feeling nauseous or he believed he would throw it up anyway. Sunday, he ate, but brought that back up. He hasn’t been eating as much as he should anyway, so this worried me considerably.


Fortunately, the last time Tucker went to the veterinary hospital, he was given a couple of Cerenia tablets. His appetite had been diminishing and he was given some Cerenia to calm a possibly queasy stomach, along with some Mirtazapine to stimulate his hunger. The roly poly recovered as well as I could expect, given his other health problems, so I did not need to use the second Cerenia pill he was provided. I decided to give some to Renn.


I hadn’t had to force a pill into Renn for years. I can’t remember the last time I did it. I gave him but a quarter of a pill (the same amount Tucker was prescribed); the big boy was surprisingly coöperative. I waited three hours, then followed it with a syringe of water-and-Recovery. I let him be thereafter.


Renn did not throw up during the night. This morning, he was more alert than he had been yesterday, and ate three, albeit small, helpings of Recovery, which I chose to feed him for the nutritional value and because it seems easier on upset stomachs than other cat-food. I did not want to give him too much, but when he asked for some hard-food, it was hard to resist the fact that he - and his body - wanted to eat. I gave him some kernels.


I now will see what awaits me when I return home this afternoon. The Cerenia’s effects are meant to last a day, so even if Renn is still sick, he may keep down what he ate this morning. I don’t know what was wrong with him, but hope it is something passing. He is feeling the effects of age, and there may be something else at work in him. I will of course take him to the doctor if need be, but that in itself is a contribution to ill-ease, so I will avoid that if I can. Right now, that is up to Renn, and his stomach.


16 comments:

  1. Ah! Bless!x Let's hope Renn's tummy does settle
    down and adjusts itself back to normal!
    Let's hope he can keep something down at least.
    Tummy upsets are'nt very nice for pussy~cats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully Renn will keep down that bit of nourishment and then feel better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purring for Renn's queasy stomach to settle down.
    Hopefully, he ate a bug that didn't agree with him, and the bad taste in his mouth is now only a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers and paws crossed that Renn will feel better soon. Please keep us posted regarding how he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, another exciting (in all the wrong ways) weekend at the Cozy apartment. I certainly hope whatever ailed Renn was a mere temporary upset and he's back to his usual self by the time you arrive home today.

    Our Sasha had a limited food day yesterday and I seriously thought I might have to call the vet, but he rallied this morning and ate reasonably well. Still less than he has in the past but as long as he's eating, I'll keep feeding and loving him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they are ancient, everything that might be minor or even trivial in a youngster becomes a concern. May your Sasha stay content and comfortable.

      Delete
    2. That happens with my Ernie every now and then. He has the bad habit of eating little bits of things he finds on the ground, whether they're edible or not. Sometimes, they fail to agree with him, but thankfully it's always been temporary. I hope the same is the case with Renn.

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, we're sending purrs and prayers that whatever was/is ailing Renn passes quickly. ❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad the Cerenia did it's work and hope his tummy is now settled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope Renns tummy feels better. Please give him a pat from us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Renn, we sure hope that sweetie is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Purrayers and Power of the Paw that Renn feels better. It is so worrisome when you don''t have even a guess as to what's wrong,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, dear, I hope that cerenia helped get Renn back on the right track in the eating department.
    POTP dude, and eat hearty...well at least eat enough!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We at Mark's Mews wish the best to your clowder... It is hard when things get difficult for any cat and hard for the Human...

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is in my mind a great deal. Please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. dood....st francis' blessings two ewe....we haz been off de grid fora bit....we hope thiz iz nothin seer ee uz ~~~~~ pleez ta tell dad we haz 984 pawz crossed 984 wayz for him for fry day...him noez oh what we speek ♥♥

    ReplyDelete