Tuesday, November 9, 2021

The Unexpected Snack

Sometimes, I come up against something that is a new experience in cat-care. Yesterday, I had to buy a bag of cat-litter. The brand I usually purchase is World’s Best Cat Litter, which, I believe, is derived from corn; I usually buy the variety that comes in a red bag. It is, supposedly, for multiple-cat households, though why the litter in that would differ from that meant for single-cat households (which comes in the green bag), I don’t know. In any case, I habitually buy the red.



Trying to save money, I purchase the largest bag the pet-supply shops have. Yesterday, however, they had only the medium and small bags. I decided to buy instead a large bag of the green variety. At one time, I had used the green variety, so I saw no harm in it. It was needed immediately, so when I returned home I poured some into a couple of litter-boxes, mixing it with the red variety already there.


Hector was the first to visit the green-bag litter. He started eating it. I put a stop to that quickly enough, though I was disturbed that he would do that, and puzzled as to how I would keep the new boy from eating the new litter. Soon after, Renn needed to use the litter-boxes. He too started eating the contents. It wasn’t, then, just a matter of the voracious Hector wanting to eat anything organic. There was something in the new litter, or its processing, that made it smell like food.


I threw out the litter that I had poured into the boxes, though I will try to give away - with an appropriate warning - the considerable, unused portion of the green-bag litter, which is considerable. I hurried to the pet-supply shop, which was about to close, and bought a medium-sized bag of our regular litter; it was the largest bag available. This proved a success, and the beasts used it in the evening and night for its intended purpose.


As I had written above, I had used the green-bag variety of World’s Best Litter at some point in the past but switched to the red; I don’t know why, though it certainly wasn’t because the cats were eating it. The formula or the method of production must have changed in the interval. I know there are some brands of cat-litter that animals will find appetising, but I have not had to deal with that problem myself, until now.


It is yet another element of cat-health in which we must be vigilant. That’s good, because I think I was running out of dangers to guard the beasts against.


13 comments:

  1. Always vigilant. It keeps you on your toes with your cats. Who can imagine what the green bag contained. Sprayed on cat litter possibly, and if so why is the question. Kind of expensive for filling the boxes with multiple bags to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "No, no, kitties...don't eat the litter!"
    Other folks have told me that corn-based litter was tasty to their cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the red- and green-bag varieties are made from corn, so there must be some difference in the production of the two kinds. Live and learn - and watch the cats like a hawk.

      Delete
  3. Good heavens! You'd think the litter company would have some sort of quality control. (Hahaha.) It's a good thing you caught that (i.e. that you didn't use it and then leave before any of the cats decided to make use of their facilities). I wonder what was in it. I use a brand I get at PetValu, unscented, clumping, supposedly 99.something% dust-free (ha). Because of Nicki's asthma, I always steered clear of more natural litters (and because he was so messy too, many just didn't work for him). I've kept the same brand without issue, knock on wood, and hope I won't have to find something else at this stage of the game.

    I also hope you soon can get your regular litter in a large bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once tried a corn-based litter, and had to give it up *very* quickly, as not only did one of my cats also mistake it for kibble, it attracted ants!

    I usually use Dr. Elsey's. The stuff turns to concrete when the cats use it, but there's virtually no dust and nobody confuses it with lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I use World's Best Cat Litter in the red bag. I've never tried the litter in the green bag, but after your experience, I think I'll make sure that I use the litter in the red bag only. (Thanks for the heads up!) That said, perhaps you should call customer service and make them aware that there was a problem. After all, not all pet parents are as vigilant as you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thing you were observant and spotted Hector and Renn taste testing the litter. I've never had a cat eat litter or at least not that I was aware of as the boxes are in the basement.

    It annoys me when I can't find the large bags of litter. I use the unscented Fresh for Life from Pet Valu, and it must be popular because sometimes they run low. There are benefits to being older, as I tend to buy on senior's day (last Thursday of the month) and get a 10% discount. It almost covers the taxes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We tried that brand for a good while but some here ate it too, red and green bags. We did have one bag that had lots of bugs in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow! A new issue, LOL! Easily fixed, except for the pocket/wallet part.

    None of our 6 kitties ever tried to eat litter, though I had to be vigilant, cause MJF would sometimes try to snack on the other contents, LOL! (Croquettes? Eeuuwwwww!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is always something to keep you on you toes! Lucky that you saw them enjoying a snack on it though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good GRIEF! How can they make litter like that and not test it enough to know it could be tempting to cats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I have never heard of such a thing! I always learn so many things on your blog. I followed your example with multiple water bowls around my house for the cats. It really works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the extra water-bowls help. I find something new to learn about my cats - and cats in general - every day.

      Delete