Friday, April 29, 2022

A Tough Night for Renn

Renn had a tough night Wednesday. He threw up four times through the night and early morning. After waiting until he was calm for a while, I gave him a quarter-pill of Cerenia in water, delivered by syringe. Unfortunately, he brought that up almost right away, which is one of the problems with giving a stomach-easing medicine orally. I was ready to take him to the veterinary hospital for an injection.


However, he did not puke any more during the next day, and in the evening was hungry. Everything has stayed down since.


Unlike Neville and Minuet’s digestive difficulties - which I believe I have now sorted out, at least temporarily - I think Renn’s is not caused by food. Food, and its rejection, is merely the strongest symptom. I fear that it is an effect of his slowly deteriorating kidneys, or something worse. In any case, there is little I can do to the cause; the effects, when they occur, I will try to mitigate.


Renn ate quite well yesterday. He has never been a big eater, but he does enjoy his food when he has it, and even when he doesn’t ask for it, I know when he wants it. Such episodes as Wednesday’s are not common but they are hard on my big boy nonetheless, and concerning for me. I will hope and trust that they do not increase in frequency in the years to come.




18 comments:

  1. Poor boy! I hope this is short lived, but know that if in fact it is related to other physical issues, it will return. I also know you'll continue to support Renn no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This says it all for you and Renn. Wishing a quiet weekend for both.

      Delete
  2. Poor Renn. I know you'll give him the best care possible until it's time to let him go. I hope that's later than sooner, but only he and you will know that. In the meantime, you both have our continued purrs and purrayers. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor Renn. I hope you're feeling better soon, Sweetheart. John, please keep us posted about how he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renn, you need purrs and prayers- and you shall have them from mom and me. From your other friends too, I know. I hope so much that you feel better, Renn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renn, baby boy!
    Please keep all foodstuffs on the inside from here on out, thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorree buddy.....we hope bye de time ewe see thiz... everee thingz aye oh kay N yur eatin good ....st francis' blessingz....all wayz ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Renn. I am glad it was short lived and hope it doesn't happen again for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We sure hope sweet Renn feels completely better soon, poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a rotten night for Renn, and we are glad that his tummy has settled. We hopes he has a settled weekend. Please give him a pat from us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Renn. He is in good hands with you though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah! Bless the little fella..hope he's o.k. now!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear Renn! It's terrible when our cats get so sick especially due to age. This post makes me so sad for Renn. I hope he's starting to feel better. Please give him a hug from a faraway friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am *so* sorry to hear that handsome Renn is having health problems again. Prayers that whatever was affecting him was just temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Renn. Dealing with food related issues with three cats has been challenging so I understand how it feels I am glad he is feeling better and hope that this doesn't continue for him or you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope he is more well today? I have thought of him a lot since I got up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are sorry to hear Renn was having problems again. We send purrayers and Power of the Paw that he stays well for some time. We have a couple of older kitties with chronic problems. Getting them to eat is so important , and finding what is appealing and safe for their systems.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww, Renn, that must have been awful for you. Glad today is better, and we pawray that you'll keep on doing well.
    Sending a ton of POTP to help:)

    ReplyDelete