Thursday, April 14, 2022

Healing at Easter

The Easter weekend is almost upon us. I will likely not be writing here again until next week. To be honest, I hope there is little to report until then. But I wanted to update those who may be interested in my medical status.

I spoke with my surgeon today. I left a message with his office about the continued pain that I was feeling. It is certainly nothing that I can’t live with, and realise that it naturally accompanies such healing as I am undergoing. But I wanted to talk to the doctor to see if he could recommend another treatment for discomfort, as those provided so far have fallen short of good results.

When he called back, he at first had trouble recalling the exact details of the surgery – he has probably performed a dozen already since mine – but when I reminded him that in his note written after the operation, he called it a “challenge”, he laughed and said that now he remembered. He told me why it was a difficult procedure, and I can understand why he would recollect it when prompted. I won’t describe it except to write that it had unusual complications. The surgeon is not surprised I am feeling great discomfort and that the swelling has yet to subside to a great extent.

However, the swelling is receding, and the doctor provided another suggestion for pain management. I am also wearing much looser garments, which have added to a better day today. Tomorrow, I implement the second part of the plan, that including a new combination of pain-killers. I have still a full week off from work, and expect good things by its conclusion. The surgeon stated that I should take a third week off if the pain has not retreated sufficiently by then, so that is another option.

Things are looking up, and, despite some discomfort and despite the snow we have received here for the last few days, I am optimistic that Easter will bring renewal and healing in the spring that is already here.

17 comments:

  1. Ah! Let's hope it all heals up and
    you feel a lot better over Easter
    John..treat yourself to a nice BIG
    egg on Sunday..! And a great BIG
    box to play with..HeHe! Make ya
    feel a whole lot better..the
    pussy~cats will show ya how..! :).

    Hope you, ALL the puddy~tats, and
    one and ALL..have a great Easter!
    God Bless..! :O).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a bit of clean white snow to cheer up Easter, is there. I do hope that the pain subsides even more quickly. And that the option of an extra week off is available if you need it. I'm sure the four cats would love to have you home for another week. Happy Easter and stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in pain and I am so sorry. I hope the change of meds will help considerably.
    I am a bit surprised that the Dr. did not have your file in front of him while talking to you. But all is well in that he recalled the operation as you prompted him.
    Madam and Hector are defining their household borders I see from the picture above. Easy for Hector; he doesn't have any. :-) Madam however, has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you talked to your Dr and hopefully the new meds work. You just might need that third week off. Sometimes it takes a little longer to bounce back from surgery.
    How smart of Hector to keep distance between himself and Minuet. Any closer she will probably be yelling at him!!
    I hope dear Renn is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the surgeon's suggestions, as well as the new pain meds, really do help. I also hope that you and the fur crew have a lovely, peace-full, uneventful Easter, John. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear John I hope that the new instructions and new meds help you feel better. Nothing is ever easy it seems but continued prayers for good healing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you spoke with your doctor and that he prescribed a new medication and that he had some new ideas to relieve your post-op pain. His suggestion that you to take an additional week off from work is a good one. After all, we all heal differently, and sometimes it takes longer for the body to heal than expected. Meanwhile, I hope you're on the road to a speedy recovery, and my feline family and I wish you a peaceful, blessed and joyous Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you a Happy Easter and a faster happy healing too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Purrs and purrayers for a pleasant Easter for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying you continue to heal more every day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I certainly hope your pain subsides and your healing is prompt.

    Happy Easter! Nice cat trap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are continuing to send purrs, prayers, and all good thoughts for your healing, John.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a good Easter, John, with continued healing and relief from pain. I'm so sorry to hear there were complications!

    I hope Renn's cold is improving, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hoping by now spring has sprung, snows been put up for the winter, you get an extra week off just...because....and the new treatment plan is working aye oh kay super great :) ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad the doctor offered some solutions and hope they have worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have, though the reduction in swelling has probably helped more.

      Delete