Tuesday, April 19, 2022

At Home on a Blustery Day

I hope everyone had a pleasant and contented Easter. Mine was good; I have another week off before I must return to work. I am feeling quite well, and should be able to put in a full day’s work next Monday. It will be but five weeks until my real holidays at that point; I am grateful for this fortnight during which to recover from my surgery, and I will be grateful for my holidays when they come.

The cats continue to be my main concern. Neville has been throwing up in the most inconvenient spots. I think that he is eating too much Recovery food. He likes it, but it may be too rich for him. I have taken him off that and put him on Fancy Feast; he likes it, though not as much as Recovery. I won’t mind if he doesn’t eat a great deal of it. He needs to lose weight. Besides, he has hard-food to keep him going, too.

Renn is doing all right. He isn’t eating as much as I would prefer, but he never has. He is sneezing much less now, and is getting over his cold.

Hector seems always untroubled in his health, knock on wood, though he too is dissatisfied with his menu: there’s simply not enough on it! That boy would eat constantly, if it were up to him.

Finally, Minuet: she is doing well, I am pleased to report. Though she has gone off her seniors’ soft-food entirely, she is eating rather more of the Recovery than had been the case. She isn’t consuming enough to make her sick, but it’s a good amount, and provides more nutrients per serving than other foods. It seems a coincidence that her renewed interest in that brand came when I bought a new case of it. Pet-food is probably not as consistent in its ingredients or production as it should be and, like Dr Jekyll’s transformation into Mr Hyde, a cat’s preference for a brand may depend on the accidental ingredients of one particular batch.

But Min is also eating a new kind of hard-food – expensive and available only from a veterinary, of course. I am loathe to laud too soon an interest in any new fare, as it may be due solely to its novelty. She is, however, eating it now, and that’s something.

Today is a very blustery day. The air should be warm, but is being chilled by the wind, and it will grow cooler at night. Madame, as you can see, is snug in her corner of the library, on her heated cat-towel, with a little heater warming her space. At dusk, she will don her pyjamas, which will add to her cosiness through the night.

18 comments:

  1. Gosh i don't know how you manage with all their seperate meals. Glad your recovery is going well snd holidays are not too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are doing better and Minuet too but I hope Neville gets to feeling better too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you and Minuet are doing better and I hope sweet Neville gets there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, poor Nevsky. Hope his dietary issues smooth out.
    And Renn, those sneezes can't be a nice thing to deal with.
    Hec is a teenager, who will eat you out of house and home, no?
    Madame is amazing; she's something!
    Glad you feel well, John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're doing well. My goodness the meal plan for the cats is extensive. They all are very fortunate to have found their way to you. Love the photo of Minuet. She's such a unique and lovely cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am late and way behind in visiting...but I did read through al the missed posts:)

    I can see that you are feeling some better, that is great. I hope that when you back to work it won't be too difficult.

    Too bad that no one wants to be consistent with their eating patterns and habits, it must keep you busy trying to figure out who gets what and when.
    I hope all the ills and idiosyncrasies smooth out and that soon there will be a measure of better health for all.
    Minuet is quite the character!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear that you're recovering nicely, John, and since Renn's cold is improving it sounds like, for the most part, the cats are doing well too. Hopefully now that Neville is on Fancy Feast, his GI issues will subside. But with all the food dishes in front of Min, she appears to be eating you out of house and home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely one for quality, rather than quantity; a little goes a long way with her.

      Delete
  8. Poor Neville. We hope he can get back on track soon. Glad that you and Minuet are doing better, John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're glad that everyone seems to be doing better/reasonably well (Neville's up-chucking excepted) and you also are recovering nicely now. We hope it's just food-related in Neville's case, something easily remedied.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do wonder how you keep each type of cat food separate for each one of the cats. I'd have to have a giant chart on the wall with probably a photo of that particular cat food so I don't miss read the label. Glad everyone seems to be doing fairly well and that you are recovering with another week off. Yes it's been a return to winter here to we've had snow for three days but I think it's going to warm up this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neville, Katie sends her best to her handsome mancat You.
    John I am so glad you and Renn as well are recovering well and rapidly! I was concerned for the swelling you yourself were experiencing but hapoy that seems to not be a problem now. Minuet, when you stop wearing your robe I will be disappointed. You look so adorable in it. And Madam, your choice of color in heated towels is purrfect for you. You coud not have done better. I hope your fur is coming in nicely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Min's fur is returning but very slowly, as is probably to be expected in a very-oldster. Her previous owner said she had to be shaved ever four months, but I doubt that Minuet will need it again before half a year is gone, if that. In the meantime, her new peach-fuzz she is silky smooth.

      Delete
  12. Glad you are recovering. Sounds like all the kitties are doing pretty well too. Cats are hard to feed, whenever I stock up on a flavor, they change their minds about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does sound like things are progressing well (except for Neville's upchucking, which I'm hoping is just one of those weird transitory things cats do.)

    I too am in awe that you can manage such a complicated menu. Me, I put a can of Friskies on dishes, place them in front of the cats, and say, "Get it in ya." Anything more complex than that would probably befuddle me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad to hear your recovery is going well and that for the most part all the beautiful kitties are doing well too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear you are healing well, John. I do hope Renn gets rid of his sneezies soon. Poor Neville. My Ozzy used to vomit three times a week. He was given a pill to settle his stomach and probiotics. It seems to have worked but he still has problems with hairballs even after daily brushes!
    Min looks like a princess with everything she needs within reach!
    Take care and hope the rest of your time off is uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad you are doing better and hope it continues. I hope all the cats do better too. I sounds like Min is.

    ReplyDelete