Friday, April 7, 2023

His New Digs

Percival easily graduated to the library yesterday. He used the litter-box while in the bathroom several times (for a big poop, too), finding his way there even while wearing a cone. That showed me he could be trusted in a room where there were plenty of hard-to-reach spots where a cat might, if he so chose, wet unbeknownst to me. But he has used the box in the library, too.

He is eating well, both soft- and hard-food, and I’ve observed him drinking water, too. The cone was on him last night; I don’t know if that was the cause, or if it was the unfamiliarity of the library, but he kept up a high-pitched whoop through the entire night. I wonder if he slept at all; it was continual. Perhaps I am used to new cats and their vocalisations, but I slept just fine. Today, the cone is off – I can check on his wound periodically – and he is enjoying the view from his window, with the pane open a bit to the pleasantly vernal day.

There doesn’t seem to be much combativeness to my new boy – though he likes to throw some violence at the carpeting on Minuet’s cat-tree, scratching and pulling and having a good time. With me, he rolls on his back, twists and turns, inviting rubs and pets. How his family – and he had one at some point – ever let him get away, I don’t know. Though he loves attention, he is nonetheless moderate in his demands, finding enjoyment elsewhere, as well. We’ll see soon how he plays.

Things are going positively here in the Cosy Apartment this Good Friday, and we are feeling lucky.

18 comments:

  1. Well done Percival. My guess, the family moved/had to move and couldn't have a pet in the new place. Not wanting to surrender an un-neutered male, they likely just left him behind. Of course, that's simply a supposition but a too often heard story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too often, and too often true.

      Delete
    2. That was how I got my Potter. The next-door neighbors kept him outside--didn't even bother to have him neutered, despite my strong hints on the subject. I befriended him, and he spent a lot of time in my backyard. The neighbors went into foreclosure, and had to move to a place where they couldn't take pets, so I volunteered to adopt him. If I hadn't, the poor guy would have wound up in Percival's shoes. Uh, paws.

      Delete
  2. Percy sounds wonderful. He'll make someone a fantastic pet. Saku has a good point - I wonder if his previous owners couldn't keep him for some reason and just turned him out instead of trying to re-home him. That's how I got my Pete, after all. Well, he's in a safe, loving home now and that's the important thing. John - Danni, Willow, Joey, Cassi, Pete and I wish you a Happy and Blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall you writing about how Pete came to you. Once abandoned, his luck sure changed right around when he came to live with you. Horace and Hector, Zofia and Imogen, and now Percival, all were likely left behind or thrown out to fend for themselves.

      Thank you for the Easter wishes, Roberta. May you and your furry family have a blessed Holiday as well.

      Delete
  3. Percival was communicating with the Mother Ship while in the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be. Do you remember Tucker's call?

      https://ihavethreecats.blogspot.com/2021/08/tucker-calls-his-home-world.html

      Delete
  4. Glad all is going well.Have a nice Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and a beautiful Easter to you, too.

      Delete
  5. He has such a sweet face and demeanor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dood! werd round de fishin pond iz ther bee a new rezadent at de C A

    welcome two ewe, itz veree nice two meet ewe. we canna stay long
    thiz time but look for werd two reedin yur storee bout how ewe getted
    gotcha! best fizhez two ewe and heerz two a mozt eggz cell ant week end. eweiz one handsum dood…..ya sorta ree mind uz oh de cat father ❤️❤️🐟🐟

    ReplyDelete
  7. Percival has settled in very well, and so quickly. Perhaps he was abandoned, and perhaps he went Walkabout and for whatever reason, didn't return to his home. Only he knows the truth of the matter, and he doesn't look interested in disclosing his secrets. 🙃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the walkabout too. But not neutered...what a thing to allow...

      Delete
  8. Percival seems to have been treated too kindly as his personality shows to have been deliberately thrown out but...probably he was. Un-neutered still (at his probable age to me) when he came to you however, shows kindness by his family and lack of responsibility. (to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Percival, whom I love. You are so adorable looking. Mom said one day she may have a boy cat again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Percival, we are so happy to see how you are settling right in at the Cosy apartment! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so good to see him quickly settling in. Happy Easter to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He sure is a great kitty, and one day will make a new forever family very happy...and him, too!

    ReplyDelete