Tuesday, April 11, 2023

On Course

Percival is settling in at the Cosy Apartment. He no longer needs his collar, though in that there hangs a tale. I wanted to subject the library to my bi-weekly cleaning of all the rooms, so I stored Perce in the bathroom for an hour. When I came to put him back in the library, I found some smears of blood. My first thought was of his neuter-wound. Sure enough, that was bleeding a little.


However, after some experimentation, I deduced that the renewed bleeding was not due to his licking the site. I remained with him until the blood there was tacky, then deliberately left him without a collar. I had not seen him trying to attend to his wound since he first came home from surgery, so I suspected that he was not doing so now. Checking on him an hour later, I saw that he had not bothered with the wound; indeed, he has not since.


The smears I had found were on the bathroom counter. He probably pulled the incision open superficially when jumping up there. This is one of the reasons why we are ordered by veterinaries to keep a newly fixed cat inactive. That, of course, is impossible unless one ties him down or puts him in a crate for a week, neither option being at all either practical or desirable. Even with a cone, a cat will at least try to leap and run. All we can do is watch that he doesn’t damage the wound in some way.


Percival was put in the library without a collar and, as I thought, left the spot alone. The bleeding had ceased quickly and all now looks to be healing well.


Soon, I will be releasing him to explore the apartment, though I will confine the others while he does so. His smell indicates that his tomcat hormones have not yet dissipated, though I don’t think he would cause much trouble on purpose. He was quite pacific when associating with the ferals in the colony he had periodically joined, though this does not mean that Renn, Neville and Imogen - especially the latter - would appreciate a semi-tom among them. So meeting the others will have to wait.


But that doesn’t rule out Percival coming know his new home better in the meantime.


14 comments:

  1. Bless him...What a lovely looking fella....!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is absolutely a stunning example of a male cat! He looks super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are purring for Percival to heal, learn, and blossom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks such a sweet boy with a big handsome face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetheart. Anyone would be lucky to adopt him. Great photos, btw, he's a terrific model. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Handsome boy. He will love having the whole Cosy Apartment to sniff out and make some special spots for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious face he has. I would think that anyone wanting to adopt a cat would find him irresistible. I hope his eventual meetings with the other cats goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the photos! What a handsome boy. He's a natural model.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Percival is one chill cat!
    I remember telling a vet once, if they wanted to ensure that cat didn't run or jump, they'd have to come home with me too. Glad his mishap wasn't too serious.
    Good luck with the integration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a handsome kitty is Percival!

    He sure knows how to make himself at home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr Percy is a lovely boy. Please give him scritches from us.

    ReplyDelete