Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Percival Recovers

Percival had his neuter-surgery today. All went well. While at the hospital, he was vaccinated, de-wormed, had his ears checked for mites, his claws trimmed and tested for feline leukemia and FIV. He was negative for those diseases. He will go for a fuller examination in a few weeks, after he recovers from this ordeal.

When he came home, he was still quite dopey, had trouble walking, and tumbled over a couple of times, preferring just to lie where he fell, rather than try to rise again. As may be seen, he has to wear a cone. He is not constantly trying to lick his wound, but he does attempt it, and I cannot afford to have its healing disrupted. So he must wear the cone when I am not present to supervise. This situation should not last long.

A few hours after his return, Perk was feeling better. He ate a small dinner, drank some water and used the litter-box a second time. For these functions, the cone was removed; I will see tonight or tomorrow if he is able to fulfill at least the waste-disposal while wearing the cone.

But once he started recovering, he became as affectionate as he was yesterday, loving head- and chest-rubs, being chucked under the chin and generally fawned over. He was, however, quite tired, and would drift off whenever he ceased moving. This is hardly surprising: he has had a busy, if not exhausting, couple of days; his anxiety must have been high until this evening, and today he was drugged in several ways and suffered an amputation. Yet when he settled into his bed – temporarily without his cone – he kneaded, even with his eyes closed and his consciousness half-faded. I think it was a relief to him to come back to his new home.

If things continue as they are, I hope to see evidence of two or three more litter-box visits, after which I will feel confident enough to move Percival to the library, where he will have much more room, a choice of sleeping spots – including one that’s heated – and a window. Then he and I will really get to know one another.

15 comments:

  1. Ah! Bless him..!x
    I've had to get up early this Thursday morning...
    Great news to start the day....! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Percival...I say honestly that you are a boy that prospective mom's and dad's should be "fighting" over. You're perfect! I'd have you as soon as I read about you if I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing Mr Percy a swift and sleepy recovery. Please give him a pat from us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad all went well and I hope the cone is soon removed. He's such a handsome fellow, he melts my heart. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you to know Percival seems to be is such good health. His grey and white furs take the place of Miss Zofia's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear all went well with Percy's vet visit. Poor Percy had quite a rough day. Get well soon, Percy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love already. That's great news about him not having FIV or feline leukemia. I'm guessing he wasn't on his own for long, then. Did the vet have any idea of Percy's age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Percival's age was the one thing I forgot to ask the doctor. It will be estimated when he goes for his fuller exam in a few weeks.

      Delete
  8. Glad he is already on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad all went well for his neuter and he bears no grudge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sir Percival is quite the stunning kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is such a lovely big headed mancat! I am so glad he is so happy with his new surroundings and that all went well today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad that is done, and now soon he'll graduate to a bigger more comfy 'residence'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear that his surgery went well, and that he harbors no ill feelings towards you for putting him through it. :p
    It always amazes me how quickly cats heal. (And unlike humans with so little whining)

    ReplyDelete