Friday, April 21, 2023

Strange Protest

Percival likes to talk. Sometimes he will wander about talking in a loud, short wail. Other times, he will simply grunt, even if he is serenely sitting at a window looking out. He doesn’t make noise at night, for which I am grateful.


Last night, I was having a shower and Perce came into the bathroom. He started wailing, loud and long. It kept getting louder and longer. I don’t know if he was trying to warn me of the dangers of hot water or whether he was simply enjoying the acoustics.



Then I heard another sound, a much quieter but perhaps more forceful sound. It was Imogen, meowing. She was coming into the bathroom, walking toward Percival, which, while her attitude toward him is improving, she still doesn’t do. Yet she came into the bathroom, meowed for about twenty seconds and left again.


Thereafter, Percival was silent. He sat for a while on the bathroom floor, silent, and then left.


12 comments:

  1. Wouldn't you like to know what those two were saying to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I'm certain you witnessed something very important. Just don't ask me what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Undine Something important. Imogen answered his protestations or was it simply his call as to whether anyone would care to join him. But she responded though they say cats ordinarily don't speak audibly to one another...just to us. Whatever it was, Imogen certainly had the last word. Was Percival quiet until bed time? Perhaps she literally told him to shut up? This habit of his was no doubt developed in the feral colony, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to be an "overanxious mother", so I'd be concerned that Percy and Imogen were trying to let me know that something was seriously wrong and needed to be investigated. Don't you wish we had taken "Cat101" in college!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess she just came in to tell Neville to stop his wailing or she might give him something to wail about ;)
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought she was telling him to quiet down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Julie. I think she was fed up with his noise and was telling him to button his lip! I can understand if that is how she felt. Flynn was a talker, or maybe I should say howler too. He would walk around the garden getting louder and louder. I would say, "For goodness sake shut up, Flynn", but he always had the last word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just loving the thought of your chatty young ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One has to wonder what the conversation was about. Whatever Imogen said to Percival must have got him thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And a pussy~cat meowing..(singing)..who sound
    ten times better than a lot of the rubbish sang to~day!
    If you can get Ren, to sing in his baritone voice in the
    background, think you'll have the starting of a little
    singing trio...Remember Peter, Paul, And Mary...? :O).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm. A little choir practive, maybe?

    ReplyDelete