Thursday, August 3, 2023

Reassurance for the Big Boy

I took Renn to see his doctor yesterday. For the past few days, my big boy’s appetite had been diminishing, he had been throwing up, and his feces had been very liquidy. As well, his right eye was reddish, and appeared to be irritating him. I had given him a shot of Cerenia, which curbed his vomiting, and in fact his condition had improved by the time he actually went to the hospital. (That is usually the case with patients, feline and otherwise, it seems.) But since, except for the one appointment-time I was able to secure, there was none available for a couple of weeks, I took him in anyway.


My big boy is doing quite well. He saw the doctor who has been treating him for years, and she was impressed with his positive condition. Renn had lost weight since his last visit, which, I think, was more than a year ago; the veterinary was not worried about the amount lost, though it is something to watch. Despite having diarrhea and kidney failure, Renn was not dehydrated. While he has recurring respiratory infections, his lungs sound clear. His few remaining teeth (he retains his fangs, so his dental presence looks more impressive than it is) may require attention in the future - his reaction to anaesthetic will have to be considered - though he is far from in a bad way now.



As for what had been troubling him, the doctor believes it was a rather more serious form of the infection from which Renn suffers from time to time. The veterinary was pleased that I was able to administer Cerenia by injection at home; she thinks that that calmed the stomach and gave relief to the bowels.


Blood was not tested this time: regardless of what it states about his kidneys, there is little to be done about them; some Fortiflora (which he won’t want) and eye drops were prescribed.


The doctor was surprised that Renn is sixteen now, both because of how time flies - for cats as much as for humans - and because Renn is in such good health. Though he didn’t need, after all, to visit the hospital, I think it was as well that he did. It is a relief to know that my big boy is aging so far without undue troubles or complications. With luck, that will continue - for him and for us all.


15 comments:

  1. Ah! Bess the little/big fella...He's lovely...
    I have a soft spot for Renn..I find him a bit
    special...And he is looking good for his age..!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renn is such a handsome guy. That's great news about his health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably more of a relief you to go than for Renn. As he continues along in life, he seems to be well for an elderly man. I hope he stays in this groove for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad Renn is doing so well. And at their age, (Renn's and almost... Katie's) any visit is a good one Reassurance makes the heart lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Purrs for you, Renn...
    That last photo shows your sour mood at being vetified, so the purrs are for you to reestablish your sunny disposition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you were wise to take Renn in and I'm glad he checked out okay. Purrs from my angels for his recovery; please give him a cuddle from me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear that Renn received a good report from the vet. Even though he seemed to have improved by the time the vet examined him, you were right to have him checked out. It's better to be safe than sorry as the saying goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renn we are certainly glad to hear you are on the mend and in such fine condition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that the vet is pleased with Renn. It is reassuring to be told that. Undoubtedly the fact you were able to inject him with Cerenia did help him on the path to recovery more quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What good news from the vet ! As we are all aging, it's encouraging to hear that we are not doing all that bad !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope Renn is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you were able to get him in to see the vet. I'm sure the check up provided some relief for you and Renn doesn't look too anxious about his visit.
    Saku is almost the same age - he'll reach 16 in March, and I'm grateful that he, too, is doing so well for his age.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good news...even after the health scare he had. Keep on keeping on, Renn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're so glad Renn got some good news from the vet!

    ReplyDelete