Sunday, August 27, 2023

The Benefit of His Doubt

Well, Brazil surprised me today. It began at breakfast, when he appeared at the door of the library, wanting to know where his food was. He has done that before a few times. But this morning, he did not back away when I approached him with his bowl. He hissed at me as I knelt to place it on the floor, but again, he did not retreat. He ate his breakfast on the library’s threshold.

Then, this afternoon, I was making sandwiches for my week’s lunches. Brazil came out of the library and wanted to know what I was doing. I offered him some of the ‘chicken-spread’ I was using, and he ate it off my fingers.

Still later, about an hour after the beasts’ dinner, Brazil started roaming about the apartment. I was soon preparing my own dinner, but, though wary, the newcomer continued to move about. He still darted for the library when I passed close by, but he didn’t do it every time. While I ate dinner, he lie down on the floor about five feet away – though only briefly; he was off again exploring, perhaps seeing if the apartment in the daylight was the same as at night. He wandered into the sitting room, then into the bedroom. He visited the bathroom and utilised the store-room’s litter-boxes. And, for the first time, I saw him drink water; not from the library’s bowl, but from that in the bedroom.

Brazil appears suddenly more confident in his place here. He returns to the library closet, even so, but I realised that I have not seen him sleeping. I suspect he sleeps in the closet, where he can shut his eyes and snooze with greater security from the attackers who may yet be lurking in his new home.

Also, he sniffed Neville’s flanks – the Nevsky not bothering to respond – and sniffed noses with Renn. He couldn’t do better than to become my big boy’s pupil in learning behaviour toward humans.

A great distance needs yet to be travelled, and much can send him back the way he has come. But I think Brazil has made a decision about his new home. He hasn’t accepted it, but he may be willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.


15 comments:

  1. Dearest John,
    Sounds like you are getting a new and happy kitty resident soon!
    Oh, if they only could talk and tell us the stories of the life they lived before meeting us...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, it seems Brazil has turned a corner and will start to settle in, and welcome your attention. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like Brazil is finally coming around. Now that he has started to explore The Cosy Apartment, I'm sure he will adapt to his new home and his housemates in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww how brave of him. We hope the daylight adventures continue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your getting there John...
    Getting there....! Bless...! :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great, we see some pictures of Brazil out and about in day light. Good for him. He's making peace with his surroundings it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is terrific progress! That he ate from your fingers is amazing! Way to go, Brazil. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thrilled! Really. He has turned the corner for certain! I am, just as I said, thrilled. Can't wait to learn more about what he is doing- and what the other beasts have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great progress! I'm so happy to hear that the poor guy's feeling less scared.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie said she has applied to the Resident Sanitarium Manager and asked for the Cozy Apartment Tunnel coordinates. She failed to ask that he cover that hole on top so she doesn't get catapulted through it and onto the wall- in the flurry of activity transporting. When she shows up...she will speak to all three: Manager, & Co-Assistants and gain permission to approach Brazil and murmur to him alone...in The Closet, where they may compare experience and form a Plan for Emergence. She will await their pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's such a postive move on his part, patience and loves pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Small baby pawsteps. Way to go Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really good news! Baby steps are turning to bigger steps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Slowly but surly you are getting there

    ReplyDelete