Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Disappointment for the Peach


Raleigh’s visit to the doctor produced disappointing results. I was able to capture him with surprising ease, but after that, the news was not as encouraging.

The reduction in his dosage of Prednisolone was not working, and he must go back to the previous amount. Furthermore, his remaining teeth appear to be the focus of a heavy stomatitis occurrence. His gums are quite red elsewhere, so the teeth may not be a cause; if they are, however, they will have to come out, which means yet more surgery for Raleigh. He returns to the veterinary hospital in a fortnight’s time for another examination.

On top of this, there is a superficial ulcer developing in his left eye. This can be treated with drops, but capturing him twice a day to do this has damaged his trust in me. He runs from me if I come anywhere near him, even if I am just passing by. He has regressed yet again to where he was months ago.

I hope that he will regain his confidence as he learns that all I am giving him is drops in his eye, though this in turn will undoubtedly suffer a set-back when he must go once more to the doctor. I’m afraid Peachy will be unhappy for some time.

 

13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear Raleigh is still troubled with stomatitis. Like Raleigh, my Joey had stomatitis. Initially he had some teeth removed. When that did not cure the problem, he had to have surgery a second time to remove more teeth. (The only teeth he has left are the 4 canines.) The second surgery took care of the problem, and he now gets prednisilone only once a week. Of course, losing Raleigh's trust is a major concern. But I'm sure that with time, patience and love you will be able to regain that trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that the news for Raleigh wasn't as hoped. I hope that removing more teeth will help, but it is difficult when his trust versus his fear is so finely balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Bless! Perhaps a favourite toy nearby,
    when your applying the drops, and no need
    to say..lots of fuss to...! :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry the news isn't good. The hardest thing would be that trust, or lack thereof. I hope that in due course he can understand, in his cat way, that you're doing your very best to help him. Lots of purrs from my boys to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor sweetie, we are so sorry he is having a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were all hoping there would be no more medical issues for your gang. I can only offer my best wishes that they'll at least be resolved soon.

    I'm also sorry that this is so hard on Raleigh. Although I think that, on some level, he must know that you're just trying to do what's best for him. Even if he doesn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, bummer! For Raleigh and for you. Cat eye drops haven't yet come up in the long list of meds we've had to inflict on our feline babies, but I can well imagine the tussle it takes. Hope you can find a happy medium somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that trust is so easily damaged. I know too that I will be doing the same with my little Mina when I capture her to take her in next week for spaying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor boy! You both deserve a break. Hopefully the drops will overcome the ulcer and the upcoming dental surgery will be the last he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. dood...if ya can reed R mindz eye from cross de miles; pleez noe dadz onlee doin whatz BEST for ewe.....we is sorree yur nooze waz crappee. may be ewe can ask dad fora fair trade off; he givez eye dropz; ewe get a treet oh sortz for bee in a good sport.....it stinx ya hafta go thru thiz ~~~~~~~~
    :(♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are sending good thoughts to Peach and hope he will come to be relaxed again. This is biggest difficulty working with some cats is getting them to relax for treatment without fear.

    ReplyDelete