Friday, July 7, 2023

A Home for Imogen

It had to happen. Imogen has been adopted. She will be staying with me.


I have no doubt that, despite being a black cat, Imogen would have had further interest in her from other people. But some factors determined that she should remain with me.


Though she is more open to meeting new people than she was, I think she felt deeply her abrupt change of home after being abandoned. Though she would come around in time, I believe it would take her a while longer to trust someone new than it would for other cats.


That leads to another factor: Imo is not a lap-cat sort of creature. She is affectionate in her own way, and shows me that she likes and trusts me. She now sleeps on the bed next to me almost every night. She rubs up against me often and demonstrates when she wants attention. But she will as many times hurry away from me when I bend down to pet her; this isn’t fear but, oddly, humour. It amuses her to play with me. She likes to jump up on the bathroom counter, and spends many hours hidden away under bedclothes. Imogen may not be easily understood.


For her part, she has come to appreciate that there are other cats in her home, and that some may come and go with what a few felines may regard as disturbing irregularity. She has become a playmate to Percy and has tolerated (sometimes with badly-concealed annoyance) Dabney’s attempts to get to know her. She is an asset in a foster-home and, further, my opinion is that she benefits from knowing other cats (some more than others.)


Then there’s the fact that I like her a great deal.


I haven’t adopted a cat since Cammie. Though I may be wrong and Imogen would adapt very well to any new home, she is certainly no Percy or Horace, or even a Hector. Like Cammie, Imo is quite particular. I flatter myself that she has come to regard the Cosy Apartment as her home, and I her human. And I flatter myself still further that she likes that arrangement. Therefore, she will stay.


18 comments:

  1. Congratulations Dad! You are now the proud papa of a beautiful and I am sure, contented Imogen. Sounds like a wise choice for her and the Cosy Apartment fosters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made me very happy. Very happy with this wonderful news. I had hopes that might happen. I think that you have assessed her extraordinarily well. That is because you are intuitive as well as very knowledgable regarding your charges. The best of happiness to you, Imogen, and her family there. All will be well- and what a celebration you will have, each of you, each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concats to you and Miss Imogen !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you and Imogen!! You have always been very intuitive when it comes to your cats, so there is no doubt that adopting Imogen is the best thing that could happen to both you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very good news. Hooray for Imogen, and hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad she is staying with you, that makes the heart smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful decision. She can rest easy, knowing she will be loved and looked after by you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely news, John!
    Welcome Home, Imogen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! Lovely..! Great news on a Saturday morning...
    Bless you both...Here's to a long and happy friendship...
    It's always best when the heart rules the head...! :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to you both! I'm delighted that Imogen has found her true forever home at the Cosy Apartment. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful news. Congratulations to Imogen -- and to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy to hear that Imogen has a permanent place in the Cosy Apartment! It was such an upset for her when her original human disappeared, now that she has bonded with you, it would be even rougher to adjust to any new home. You know and understand her very well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are so happy Imogen is a permanent resident of the Cozy Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't think of a better home for her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray!! Imogen, you have scored!! And so has your new Dad!
    Concatulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful news for both of you. It's clear you understand Imogen's needs and I agree, from the sound of things, she's a good fit for a foster home.

    ReplyDelete