Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Enjoying the Actualities

Neville is feeling better. I can tell by how he acts and how he looks. The inflammation that caused his gums and, more noticeably, his chin, to swell, appears to have vanished. Strangely, he is eating a bit more moderately than he had been while ill, but it is still a good amount; he usually likes to have two courses: his soft food first, followed by some hard-food. Tellingly, his mouth doesn’t need wiping as much as when he was sick.


My pleasure is qualified, though. The second doctor, when examining the Nevsky, not only gave the opinion that my cat does not have cancer, but observed that a piece of bone or tooth was still in the socket from which an entire tooth should have been removed. That is likely what caused the infection. Since the fragment remains, so does the possibility of a recurrence. There is also a chance that Nev’s jaw was damaged more than superficially by the infection. There is a plan in place to take an x-ray of the jaw if need be and, though the veterinary is hesitant, I think Neville could have another dental procedure to remove the  fragment; he spent a much fuller and longer time under anaesthetic late last year.


These are, however, potential problems, and are not facing us at the moment. We are prepared for possibilities, but are enjoying the actualities. Neville is still with me, feeling good and, I believe, content.



15 comments:

  1. Hansome Nevsky, we hope you continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neville looks the best I have seen him since he came to you. He looks great! His ears and whiskers say he is feeling moderately well! What a good boy. I hope he keeps on feeling better and enjoying his life. Enjoy seeing his arms out like that. He's feeling good. Otherwise he'd be in a little silver Neville ball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Katie. Neville looks terrific. That's not great news that he may need another dental procedure, but that's certainly better than cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Bless him...!x He's a lovely looking
    fella..and look at that face...So pleased
    about the good news...!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear Neville is on the mend with no evil cancer happening!
    He's posing so beautifully and looks content.
    You're a good cat dad, John!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes for Neville. If necessary, then surgery is a must. I hope the sweet fellow does not have to go through it again, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the above comments - Neville looks terrific! But I am concerned about the piece of tooth that remains in his jaw. If it is not removed, there is always the possibility that the infection can recur and now that he is on the mend, we certainly don't want him getting sick again. I'll look forward to learning what the X-rays show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neville does look terrific, as others have stated. I think these are the best pics I have seen of him in a long time, and I'm glad he's feeling so much better. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he does not have a recurrence of the infection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pictures show his handsomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that sweet guy is doing better, that's terrific news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent. We are so glad Nev is doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pleased for Mr Neville and you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a handsome boy! I'm glad to hear that the infection has gone, and I do hope that if there is a piece of tooth remaining, it can be removed quickly and safely.

    ReplyDelete