Sunday, July 16, 2023

Different With Four

The reports from Percival’s new home are good. Though they came to me only a couple of hours after his arrival there, Perce’s reactions were as I suspected. He didn’t hide, but immediately began exploring the new environment, rubbing up against objects and people and using the litter-box. After a sudden change, cats have, I’ve noticed, can be quite excited, only to have a reaction, similar to homesickness, a little later. After this, however, they start adapting. I suspect this is what Perce will experience. I will keep readers apprised.

Once again, the departure of one cat seems to make life simpler at the Cosy Apartment – though that departure is never unregretted. While I still have four to look after, feeding times are smoother; Percy can be inconstant in his gastronomical desires.

Dabney seems to be feeling much less restricted. He spent much of the morning running about, throwing himself into the nylon tunnel and the nylon cube, racing to the tops of cat-trees and down again. I think that he, as well, sees that he has greater access to me, and is using it.

The hostility that he evinced toward Percival was personal. For some reason, he disliked Percy; that didn’t change, though Percy sometimes facilitated it by following Dabs and staring at him, when avoiding the other cat would have lessened tension. My lean, bumpy-headed cat (his outsider-cat wounds have left uneven scabs and scars on his pate) has no trouble with the oldsters here, largely ignoring them, except when they are in the path of his exuberance.

As for Imogen, she dislikes Dabney, though I see no chance of a fight. She will hiss and growl at Bumps from a distance, and woe to him if he comes too close. Last night, he inadvertently narrowed propinquity, innocently trying to get by Miss Silky to see out the sliding glass door to the ditch, and elicited a fierce hiss from which he cringed like Oliver Twist confronted by the beadle. (I don’t mind Imo showing Dabney who’s in charge; I prefer it to her being frightened in her own home.) It doesn’t help that Dabs likes the cylinder-house of the cylinder-house cat-tree. Imogen prefers the top (at least in the warm weather) and having Dabney underneath her is highly undesired.

Still, all is going well here. I can leave Bumps out all night and, assuming things go well today, will leave him out tomorrow when I go to work. It’s a quiet life again in the Cosy Apartment. For now.

13 comments:

  1. We will purr for that the detente between Dabney and Imogene continues to hold, and that Percival fits into his new home with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eager to hear more updates on how Percy is doing. I wish Dabney could tell us what he had against the poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Imogen is so accustomed to being the only Queen and sole Ruler in her former household that likely she has more adjustment to make regarding our sweet Dabney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed that all continues to go well for Percival in his new home.

    As for Dabney and Imogen, I hope for peaceful coexistence, or continued peaceful coexistence, if this is as good as it gets between them.

    I'm sure it won't be long before you have another rescue/foster, so the dynamics will change again in short order!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Katie - It seems Imogen is used to being an "only child" so it may take her awhile to get used to being around other cats. Meanwhile, I'm so glad to hear that things are working out for Percy. He's such a sweetheart, and he deserves to find a "furever" home where he can be loved and well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bittersweet news about Percy. I am happy on the one hand, and a little sad on the other. But, I wish him the very best in his new forever home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We hope Percival continues to do well and will be super happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds as though Percival is doing well, thus far at least, I certainly hope the good news continues.
    It sounds like Dabney might be a bit too precocious for Imogen. I hope they are able to come to a mutual agreement about the required distance between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're glad for the good reports from Percy's new place, and hope those continue. We also hope for continued peace between Imogen and Dabney.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quiet is good. Even when there were two here, we liked quiet.
    Hopefully your's remains so.
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww farewell sweet Mr Percy - we hope this is your furrever family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Early news on Percival that it may be very good news for him. Well hope the other four still at home with you find a way to all cope with each other smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HaHa! Well, we humans are much the same...
    Most mornings, now retired fully, l walk into
    town, first call, Costa coffee, l get my cappuccino,
    sit at my usual table, and relax...sometimes a
    friend will stop by..and say..."Can l sit with you
    Willie"? HeHe! "No! Go away..leave me alone".
    All done and said in the nicest possible taste..! :).

    So, l suspect, there all trying to gain the number
    one spot in the Cosy Apartment....one way or
    another..At least after all the hissing and growing,
    only the one thing left to do...HeHe! SLEEP...! :O).

    ReplyDelete